Mulesing - A PETA het up? Or genuine concern...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is perhaps venturing a bit further off the topic, so sorry if it's uncalled for, but I just remember watching some videos on here a few years ago and being absolutely horrified more than with any other thing. since it's to do with sheep again. Sad that even if farmers here take care of their livestock in every and any imaginable way, this is their fate ( i refer mostly to the being exported aspect)
STOP LIVE EXPORTS | People Against Cruelty in Animal Transport

I just remember when I was about 7, my aunty would always refuse to eat lamb, because of when the aussie sheep got left to die on a boat since the country they were being sent too wouldnt accept them or something, and Australia wouldn't take them back. (sure there's more too it..but as i said, i was 7!) which is how I found that site.

haha :p it's always good to hear teachers opinions...because you either agree and respect them more, or despise it!

Hope your luck gets better soon! (perhaps even by not having pushed prices up and no more natural disasters!)
and best of luck with the teaching job!

Roy Pails was/is a Muleser, and when I asked him about it he said he'd love nothing better for it to stop..... but unfortunately it's the only real effective prevention against flystrike in this country. He said there is nothing worse than seeing a sheep eaten from the backside up! Fair point IMHO.

Yes, their scare campaigns are ridiculous - and yes, they are motivated with poor knowledge on any occasions.... And yes the video is a little bit damning I am sure...

And for those antics they can't be taken seriously or deserve any respect.

PETA is not the main concern. Fact is that companies are starting to ban australian wool due to what is seen as animal-abuse. Sheep farmers are starting to move away from the practise, but at the end of the day if they don't move fast enough they're out of business.

PETA is a joke. I would much rather they focus on something more of a concern, say... factory farming or veal farming, both of which I personally find absolutely disgusting.

Mulesing is cruel sure, but I'd rather see that then flystrike.

Pretty harsh video I guess... I've dehorned and branded calves before though, and I think it would be better for the sheep in the long run. That guy knew how to handle the blade, eh? Animals have a fairly high pain tolerance, they'll get over it. It's for the best. JMO

Pretty harsh video I guess... I've dehorned and branded calves before though, and I think it would be better for the sheep in the long run. That guy knew how to handle the blade, eh? Animals have a fairly high pain tolerance, they'll get over it. It's for the best. JMO

What you say does make sense... All except the 'pain tolerance' thing and the 'she'll be right' attitude...

Just out of curiosity - and I don't want you to think I am doubting you - I would just like to know quantitavely how much pain tolerance can a lamb handle vs say... a baby child?

Yes, they'll both get over it (in the long run it is better for the sheep that's for sure) - but it's the suffering and undue stress it causes at the time that is the concern.

It's very hard to sit down, 1 on 1 with a lamb to explain the pros and cons of mulesing.

So why hasn't Australia followed NZ with their wool industry (don't forget fly strike occurs in NZ as well) - mulesing has been phased out - and the wool industry in NZ is still thriving and in fact no business has turned down NZ wool (that I am aware of) yet because of it.

I'm not saying PETA is right here - because i'm with the most of you - but the point is - PETA or not... Mulesing is helpful in the long term - but short term it is horrifically frightening and guranteed to be painful.

Well, if it was in that much pain, I can guarantee you it would have moved its *** off that wheelbarrow or whatever it was on before it had any more chops. In regards to pain tolerance, I was mainly talking about cattle. I can guarantee you though, that as soon as you put that lamb on the ground, it would go straight back to lamb activities, try that with a human baby and it wouldn't focus on anything else until it was healed. Animals are much better at coping with pain than the average human.

Well, if it was in that much pain, I can guarantee you it would have moved its *** off that wheelbarrow or whatever it was on before it had any more chops. In regards to pain tolerance, I was mainly talking about cattle. I can guarantee you though, that as soon as you put that lamb on the ground, it would go straight back to lamb activities, try that with a human baby and it wouldn't focus on anything else until it was healed. Animals are much better at coping with pain than the average human.
Could there be a connection made here between this and circumcision? Babies basically go straight back to doing baby things straight after that but most people say circumcision is cruel

Well I'm glad I'm cut. I think in modern times it has been done with a local anesthetic.

Could there be a connection made here between this and circumcision? Babies basically go straight back to doing baby things straight after that but most people say circumcision is cruel

Also, I'm talking about STRAIGHT after the sheep has been cut, where it's still bleeding. It will hop along and do its thing.

Oh ok yeah I've never seen it (mulesing) being done so I guess I don't know the difference personally. I just thought it might be an interesting parallel

l grew up on a few big farms!......what ever happened to or when did "crutching" go out as not even PETA could complain about that proceedure and it was/has been around since Captain Cook landed....solar 17 [Baden]

Oh ok yeah I've never seen it (mulesing) being done so I guess I don't know the difference personally. I just thought it might be an interesting parallel

You're right mate, as soon as I made the post you quoted, I thought of circumcision. I still think that an animal like a sheep or a cow is tougher than a human, I've seem them go about their daily duties with injuries that humans couldn't even begin to fathom, let alone "get on with it"... I know I wouldn't be walking around if someone sliced my *** skin off. I surely wouldn't be sitting down, either, haha.

One theory that could be argued against my idea though, is that because animals are always on the look out for predators, despite their injuries, they will act normal so they don't seem to be an easy target.

Either way, I still think it's in the sheeps best interest to do it.

One theory that could be argued against my idea though, is that because animals are always on the look out for predators, despite their injuries, they will act normal so they don't seem to be an easy target.

Either way, I still think it's in the sheeps best interest to do it.

Bingo...

Well mate, you don't run stock. Easy for you to sit and criticise, but what's worse? A bit of pain (mulesing, circumcision) or constant infections?

Well mate, you don't run stock. Easy for you to sit and criticise, but what's worse? A bit of pain (mulesing, circumcision) or constant infections?

Maybe I don't.... but I happen to be in a family that does :)

I'm not anti mulesing either incidentally - however I am very familiar with the alternatives...

What would you cross with, while still retaining the wool of the marino? If you crossed, the sheep with marino phenotypes would still have the same characteristics and need to be cut up, wouldn't they? I guess it would have to be done for a few generations.

Who was the guy that did the pea plants? Sorry, my knowledge on selective breeding isn't as good as it used to be when I was studying husbandry, it's kind of all out of my head now.

Also, what is pegging? I haven't done a TON of work with sheep, mainly cattle.

Sounds like Kitah would be more informed to answer those questions...

But the breeding was done over many years - The WRO of NZ (Wool Research Orgonisation) is HUGE!!!

Unfortunately they keep their secrets very secretive because wool in NZ is worth more than gold in Aussie!

Every year people try to smuggle trade secrets out of NZ - though a sheep in the suitcase isn't much beyond some of the theives.

One year 6 Chinese apple growers stole cuttings from an NZ breed of apple - they were caught - but it's the ones that caught that make you wonder how many get through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back