My beardie was on it's back shaking after it woke up.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OReilly

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I got up this morning and did the usual switch on of the light in my beardie's tank and left him while i went about my business. But when i came back about 5mins later it looked like he had fallen off the log he was sleeping on which is approximately 28cm from the ground and was on his back shaking. The shaking lasted about 30 seconds from when i entered the room. During this time i flipped him gently half onto his front but couldnt all the way due to him being pressed against the wall of the tank and i didn't want to apply too much force.
After a bit the shaking slowed down to a minor little head shake and he straightened his body out and i patted him on the tail encouraging him to move and he ran from the end he was currently on(the cool end) to the basking end but he was moving a little odd. Sort of running along with his arms and legs fanned out, i imagine just because he was still recovering from whatever just happened.
Now, this could be a few things. He may have fallen off the log and landed on his back while he was still waking up and went into shock.
He was too cold, i must say the cool end in winter hangs around 18-24 degrees celcius and the hot end stays around 37-40.
I'm on Kitty's Crumble substrate which is a coconut fibre based substrate which i have researched and it appears to be ok. One person on here said they used it with their blueys for a few years and still are.
It would be odd for him to have impaction because i rarely feed him crickets on the floor of the tank for this reason plus, it's coconut fibre which isnt very strong but too much of it would clog him up. Regardless though, he taught himself a way to get the crickets without touching the substrate, sort of a delicate procedure of a quick precision strike at the target. He only occasionally gets a bit in his mouth like yesterday when i hand fed him and threw a cricket in with him just to see if he was hungry and then after the first one i just fed it by hand. But he never gets too much in his mouth and i usually feed him in a plastic container filled with crickets inside the tank to avoid this.

I havn't been using calcium powder on the crickets as often within the past month but i imagine that you can't get a calcium defficiency within a month of slowing down the amount you give him. I guess i did it out of laziness, found it easier to just chuck some crickets in a container without putting them in a plastic bag with powder, shaking it, then getting powder all over my fingers and getting them out.

Im gonna keep an eye on it today and see if he wants to eat later. I'll mist him with some water because i remembered i havn't done that in a while and see how it goes.

What do you guys reckon?

gee, that sounds like a bit of a worry, how old is ur little one?

give him a warm bath (stay with him the whole time incase he has another 'fit' tho) to see if he'll poo for you, and to see if hes acting/moving normally.

does he have a good UVB source?
if so i really doubt its calcium related, mine havent had supplements for years, but theyre all adults, i do give them supplements while tehyre growing, then a healthy diet with calcium rich salads takes over,...does urs get lots of greens?

just a tip with the dusting, (i dust for my geckos and frog) i use a big plastic jug thing (the egg carton bits fit in nicely) shake crix into that with a bit of calcium, give it a swirl and its easy as,..once the crix stop getting coated properly i change the calcium. The bag method sounds painful!

Hope ur little ones ok, its a good sign that hes still moving around at least.

i checked him just then. he was out from under the rock, i sprayed him a few times with some water to hydrate him and he moved back under the rock and his legs were fully functioning and he seemed quite normal now.
I'll put him in a bath later.

i think it was about 6-8 weeks when i got it in april so it would be about 4-5months now.

Btw, just a quick question, what age do they reach their full length?

if fed properly they should reach their full length in 10-12 months, and they fill out in the second year (plus maybe a little more length but not much)

its hard to say what length at 6 months, that depends largely on genetics,...i have some adults over 50cms, some around 35cms,....unless u know how big the parents were?

good to hear ur man seems ok now,...watch him closely, if hes not 100% normal, seems lethargic or anything ur not comfortable with id recommend taking him to the vet incase theres some bacterial infection or something going on,...

but it could be as u said, he was freaking out cos he was cold and in a possy where he couldnt get himself upright straight away,...just keep a close eye on him.

At 6 months my two centrals were 35cm and 41cm tip to tail. They are now both around the 48cm mark at 18months old.

Yea, it seemed like he was try to get back on his front while he was at it. Looked alot like a turtle turned upside down really...

haha, so hes all good now?
u mustve been freaking out!!! :p

Where did he come from?
if it was an inexperienced breeder then it coud be similar to what happened in the pet shop i used to work in... The idiots helped the babies out of the eggs and coincidentaly about 90% ended up with menangitis, im no expert but the symptoms sound the same as what happened to these guys and it took a couple of months for it to show up with them. Take him to the vet if you can...

thats pretty scary! I really hope your beardie is ok.
just a tip with the cricket feeding and dusting.
ive figured out the easiest method EVER.

i used a big container to house the crickets in (just empty the chinese take-away contianer of crickets into something like a cereal container)
then.... i have an old plastic cup that has some calcium powder already in it (about 1-2 teaspoons)
then i literally use one of those fish nets (something like this) to catch the crickets out of the cereal container and put into the cup
i swirl the cup around and then use the end of the fish net to coax the crickets out of the cup into my beardies cage.
its soooo easy.
no mess. no fingers. no wastage of powder. easy as.
:)

We cant really give you a exact size as to how big your dragon should be as there are a numerous amount of factors that influence this. as long as he seems to be eating and increasing in size dont worry too much.
cricket dusting without the use of uv lamps or sun basking is useless in my opinion and most of the time it is better to spend 10-20 mins in direct sunlight with your lizard than spend extra money on expensive lamps(this of cause depends on how many you have). sunlight through glass, plastic, some screen doors and other mediums is not the same as direct sunlight.
make sure you monitor everything that happens everyday from food intake, movements passed, shedding and every so often (i used to do it monthly when mine where young) record weight , length etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back