My beardie won't eat veggies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My beardie won't eat veggies, like ever. He just buries them in the sand :?. I've tried all different types but he will only eat live food. Is that normal?

How old is he?

What type of beardy?

What temps are you keeping him at?

& how long have you had him?

These may help answer why he does eat vegies.

I have 2 ~11 month old beardies who used to eat vegies and insects, but are now mostly on insects, so have a similar problem. Some advice I received was that this happens a bit at sub-adult age, but as they get older they will move more towards the vegies. I guess keep up the insects, keep offereing the vegies and fruit and hopefully in time they will come around.....

Any experienced herpers out there care to shed more light on this isssue?

Not exactly sure his age because he had a previous owner but i think he's about 4 years. I've had him for nearly 2 years. His temp is at 34 at the hot end and 28 at cool end. And he is an eastern beardie.

try hand feeding the insects with plastic forceps for about a week
wen he is used to that being a food source try hand feeding vegies like carrot and dandelion with the forceps
that worked with my fussy juvies

try hand feeding the insects with plastic forceps for about a week
wen he is used to that being a food source try hand feeding vegies like carrot and dandelion with the forceps
that worked with my fussy juvies

lol, bloody beardies! mine were the same, they only now have started eating vegies and there over 12 months old. but the above advise is exactly what i did, and it did work to some extent. problem is one will only eat carrot and cauliflower, the other will only eat pees and corn. lol.:rolleyes:

I had a beardie once who would not eat vegetables or fruit. I bought a jar of baby food in the apple variety, I think it was called fruity apple - now it's orchard apple. I started to spoon feed the beardie with this. SHe loved it. I then started to mix bok choy and parsley that I had crushed up with a mortar and pestle to the apple mix. She still continued to eat it . Then I started to offer finely chopped up fruit and vegies on their own and she started to eat this. This process took about 4 months. Now she eats most fruit and vegies and as a treat, every now and then I spoon feed her the baby food apple, sweetcorn and pumpkin or baby garden vegetables.

Wow, i did not know that you can feed them mince.. I'll have to try it out. And baby food you say? Awesome, it'll be tricky trying to feed that to the snappy little bugger though. But i'll still give it a go. Thanks for all the ideas everyone! :D

actually iv had a few people say mince is not ok but its says u can in john wiegals "Care of Australian reptiles in captivity"???????:?:|
but id research it if i were u
so just to b on the safe side try the same idea with dead crickets instead
even thou i hav feed them mince i dont want to b responsible for ne harm to ur beardy

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back