my beardy stinks how do i wash him

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coree2009

Reaction score
hey ppl probly a stupid question but my new beardy i got 2day absalutly stinks and was wondering what i can use to give him a good clean hes stinking out my herp room iv given him a warm bath but he still stinks. any insight would be great

are you 100% that its your beardie? have you checked the enclosure for poop? i know yoda stinks my room out when he does a poo. all in good time i guess, take him out for some sunshine

Lynx deodorant works well under there little legs aye.

Ps seriously don't try this it's just a joke lol.

You should be sitting them in shoulder deep luke warm water for 20 mins every week at least.
This should help keel him clean alt you could put a few drops (literally) into his bath/soak once a month.
Make sure he doesn't drink

---------- Post added 17-Jan-11 at 12:01 PM ----------

You should be sitting them in shoulder deep luke warm water for 20 mins every week at least.
This should help keep him clean alt you could put a few drops (literally) into his bath/soak once a month.
Make sure he doesn't drink

oh yeah haha. Reptile disinfectant spray just spray him with it but not in the face.
Or you can drop one or 2 drops of detol in water then rub it on him with a cotton ball

DO NOT BATH HIM EVERY WEEK!!!!! your dragon will get an upper resp tract infection, how many times do i have to say it!!! one bath in either of the above mentioned should kill the stink factor!! if you notice that he has poo on his tail use a baby wipe. you may not know her but lizard lady has been my mentor when it comes to beardies.

As long as the beardies enclosure if kept dry as it should be with low humidity i really dont see how weekly baths will cause resp infections

i personally think that a lukewarm bath is far better for a dragon than misting.

they don't have weekly baths in the wild do they!!! they gain their hydration from food...that is if you feed it the correct diet. and a baby wipe is fine if it has skidmarks on its tail after pooping!!!

they don't have weekly baths in the wild do they!!! they gain their hydration from food...that is if you feed it the correct diet. and a baby wipe is fine if it has skidmarks on its tail after pooping!!!

this is not the wild, this is captivity. Give them access to internal and external parasites, predators, mayb a few bush fires here and there and then you can justify with the "thats how they do it in the wild" Until then realize this is captivity and it is totally different to the wild. In the wild chances are they wont smell as they have unlimited area to roam and even if they did smell it would be no issue

also dragons are known to play in water in the wild and in captivity.
So why would a bath be bad for them. They can absorb alot of hydration this way and it is great to help them with shedding.

i have never bathed a beardy at anytime, they will gain all there fluids from a varied diet i only mist once a week and i dont see how a bath would help unles you have an unhealthy line with shedding issues if it stinks wet flannel> or wait for its next shed. i would not use any chemicals> even a baby wipe. all the beardys i have not one is unhealthy or unhappy.

A bath will be fine, stick it outside in a tub or avairy for a while the smell will go away. Baths will not give them problems, the smell should go away in a day or two.

[deleted]

High end breeders in this country and overseas regularly wash their beardies without ill-effect. I know Saz for one put lots of photos of hers up after she has bathed them and they don't suffer from respiratory infection, and she lives in a high humidity area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree baths are fine. Just towel dry them afterwards and place them in the basking spot to help them dry off. Also I don't know how comfortable I would feel using a baby wipe on one of my animals. If you do an internet search you will actually find a lot of sites recommend beardies be given a bath every now and again.

lol, i picked 3 beardies up about 18 months ago and i could barely breathe in the car on the way home,...
it took over a week of daily baths/showers to remove the stench.

i wouldnt bother with soap or anything, but baths are fine, all 7 of mine get a bath every morning, and those that havent pooped in the bath join me in the shower :p

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with rocket, that good breeders do bathe there dragons and that there would be no ill affects from bathing occasionally. i for one dont but thats not for health issues it is just i feel my dragons dont stink lol

i have seen alot of people that have been bathing there monitors with shower scrub ever since there lizard as a baby and now there like 10-11 years old and nether had a problem i hhave nether triad it but thought i would just get it out there i mite have to do some research into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back