My first snake. Need a few answers! ASAP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777metalrb

Reaction score
So I've been emailing the owner of the local reptile store here, and they are recovering a spotted python this Friday, 1/10/14. The owner says it's mine unless I don't come but it for 3 days. I will most likely be picking It up on Friday after school. I've done extensive research on these snakes and just need a few more last minute questions answered!

1.) is the "click clack" enclosure the little Tupperware container the snake come in? If not what is it?

2.) I have a 20 long, and the 50 watt heat bulb I bought wasn't heating my tank very well. The only other bulb the store had was a 100 watt bulb. I have that and a heat mat, under the tank, hooked up to a temperature controller. It seems to be working well! Is 100 too much? Should I go down to 60 watts?

3.) I plan on feeding the snake in a 10 gallon tank that I have. Is it ok for me to move him back into the 20 after he's done? The 10 doesn't have a lid. I know not to handle it for 1-2 days after they eat.

4.) I've seen all different temps for night time. The daytime temp I have it set at is 89 degrees Fahrenheit. Night Time I have it set as 79 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this ok? Yes, I live in the U.S. Hence the Fahrenheit.

y2a3utym.jpg
8y9a7e7y.jpg
ataja9as.jpg
meqarygy.jpg

uhahesa4.jpg
erabever.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited by a moderator:
The click clack is a small - medium tub the snake is kept in whilst as a hatchie, it's not the Tupperware tub it comes in.

I feed all my snakes in their enclosures now, as it's easiest, and doesn't change how bitey the snakey is.

100W seems a bit much, but if that's what's needed to get the tank to the right temperature, then so be it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice setup too.

Hi 777metalrb,

It is good to see someone with a nice starter set-up for their snake, as we all know the initial setup for your newest family member can be the most expensive part of the whole process. Thankfully some people are not afraid to go out and spend a bit of money to enhance the experience for both you and the snake.
As for the questions, many questions asked by new owners and/or new members to this site have been asked before. If you have a look under the "Wiki" section in the toolbar at the top of the page some of your questions may already be answered. So you may have to do a few temperature conversions and so forth, but at the end of the day it may just save yourself from being a little disheartened by some of the responses you may get.
I am not saying that everything that is written on this section of the site is 100% correct, it may just help you with some answers before you post the question. You can also try searching the question you have in the search box at the top to see if the question has been posted previously. At least if you get shot down you can just refer to the section from which you got the information.
Don't let the odd bad remark ruin you experience on this site, with further use you will find there is a lot to learn from some of the people here. My advice is to peruse this site regularly and be pro-active in your own approach to keeping your reptiles, keep a detailed record book to start off with, this will help you understand what your particular snakes habits are. most importantly listen to what people have to say and soon enough there will be enough information that matches to allow you to make the right decisions

The click clack is a small - medium tub the snake is kept in whilst as a hatchie, it's not the Tupperware tub it comes in.

I feed all my snakes in their enclosures now, as it's easiest, and doesn't change how bitey the snakey is.

100W seems a bit much, but if that's what's needed to get the tank to the right temperature, then so be it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice setup too.

Awesome! Thanks so much! I feel it may be a little older than a few months because the owner says it's a higher price than normal! I found a 60 watt bulb for 5 u.s. Dollars, so I might go ahead and get it and see how it does! Thanks again for your response!

Hi 777metalrb,

It is good to see someone with a nice starter set-up for their snake, as we all know the initial setup for your newest family member can be the most expensive part of the whole process. Thankfully some people are not afraid to go out and spend a bit of money to enhance the experience for both you and the snake.
As for the questions, many questions asked by new owners and/or new members to this site have been asked before. If you have a look under the "Wiki" section in the toolbar at the top of the page some of your questions may already be answered. So you may have to do a few temperature conversions and so forth, but at the end of the day it may just save yourself from being a little disheartened by some of the responses you may get.
I am not saying that everything that is written on this section of the site is 100% correct, it may just help you with some answers before you post the question. You can also try searching the question you have in the search box at the top to see if the question has been posted previously. At least if you get shot down you can just refer to the section from which you got the information.
Don't let the odd bad remark ruin you experience on this site, with further use you will find there is a lot to learn from some of the people here. My advice is to peruse this site regularly and be pro-active in your own approach to keeping your reptiles, keep a detailed record book to start off with, this will help you understand what your particular snakes habits are. most importantly listen to what people have to say and soon enough there will be enough information that matches to allow you to make the right decisions

Thanks for the info! I didn't see the search bar at first but I now see it! I will definitely use it quite a bit! Thanks again!!

Hi
I haven't done the F to C conversion. Nonetheless, with a heat lamp and heat mat, ensure the whole enclosure isn't at the hot end of the scale. You want a nice temperature gradient - somewhere where he can get cosy warm AND somewhere to cool down. Your enclosure looks good!
Mark.

With the cold snap in the states at the moment you may well need a 100 watt globe. It will depend upon the ambient temperature.I n Australia most of the time the ambient temperature is between say 15 and 35 C but in USA it gets much colder than that. Watch the snake. If it is chasing heat all the time you need to increase the wattage of the heat source!

Hi
I haven't done the F to C conversion. Nonetheless, with a heat lamp and heat mat, ensure the whole enclosure isn't at the hot end of the scale. You want a nice temperature gradient - somewhere where he can get cosy warm AND somewhere to cool down. Your enclosure looks good!
Mark.

The heat lamp and the heat mat are on the same end! The analog thermometer I have on the back glass , closer to the cool side, sits around 74F. Which is 23C. The hot side temp is set at 89F or 32C.

Thank you, I just hope there's not too many vine leaves lol!

With the cold snap in the states at the moment you may well need a 100 watt globe. It will depend upon the ambient temperature.I n Australia most of the time the ambient temperature is between say 15 and 35 C but in USA it gets much colder than that. Watch the snake. If it is chasing heat all the time you need to increase the wattage of the heat source!

I will watch the snake closely! Right now, in Texas, the current temp outside is 28F, -2C. If I remember correctly my house temperature is in between 20C and 21.67C. 68F-71F. I think I'll start with the 100 watt bulb and if i see him staying away from the hot side, I will go down to a 60 watt bulb! I'll keep y'all posted on what happens! Thanks for the info!

Also, for reference, the thermostat probe is just above the hot side hide. You can see it in one of the pictures I posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back