My Hands Resemble Pin Cushions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesa

Reaction score
I went to meet my 2nd ever snake. The keeper wasn't big into handling but didn't mind if I picked up the new baby ( 2mnth old Atherton Tableland Python). Now this baby has not been handled at all. It tagged me about 6 times - and truly didn't hurt (lots of blood though).... BUT my question is - what is the best procedure to settle it down?

5 minutes handling here and there? Handle before a feed? What have people had the best results with? Have no wish to be continually chewed on by a 2m snake!!!!

I'm by no means a highly experienced keeper, but I've learned alot since getting my atherton last may. What I found was that once in his enclosure for a while and after short regular sessions of handling within a couple of months he was great to handle, and now days is completely relaxed with me.

I try to avoid handling round feeding time, particularly afterwards, usually don't handle for a couple of days after feeding. You'll find that when they start to slough and go cloudy in the eyes they'll get a bit flighty due to sight being a problem. But once they've shed they're back to their usually calm self.

P.S. By regular i mean once ever day or two, for about 15 minutes. Any longer then 20 minutes and mine starts looking for shirt sleeves and things to hide in, that's when he wants to go back to his home.

Thanks for that info. I'm used to the world's most placid childrens. This is all very new to me! Any other input would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back