Cranky Baby Spotted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaraM

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just wanting some advice on our baby spotted python. We've had him for 5 weeks now and he seems to be getting harder and harder to handle. We started out just handling him a couple of minutes every few days and followed all the standard advice from this site and a 2 hour python keeping talk we went to. He strikes constantly whenever we go near him, and stands up in his defensive about to strike position - he's only bitten me once which didn't hurt, but it's hard not to flinch when he's constantly going for you. No, I don't expect him to behave like a puppy, I know he's a snake and will act like a snake - but we did choose a spotted python because they are usually more placid, and my son really wants to handle him a couple of times a week, not just leave him in an enclosure. Is it likely he will grow out of this behaviour? I'm not sure how I'm going to look after a big snake who constantly goes for me whenever I look at him. He was hatched last January and is growing quite quickly on one weaner a week. I have been using a hook to get him out because I can't seem to get my hand near him to pick him up. My son sits quietly and patiently for 20 minutes with the enclosure open for him to settle down but often ends up closing it again because the snake is so hostile. I can tell he's disappointed.
Does anyone have any advice?
Lara

Hi Lara,you will have to persist with some patience,understanding and pain while the bites will be bareable.Is it only cage defensive? Have you had him out on the lawn for some sun and gently handled him? Are your temps alright and you've given the snake ample hides? Does he seem hungry or scared?

Last edited:
Longqi the man has said that snakes bite fot 2 reasons. Hungry or threatened.
Find out which one it is.

Jeffa I have a psycho assassin,she is certainly not hungry or threatened,just 100 % all beach

it sounds like its stressed , try leaving it alone for a couple of weeks . then try again to handle it - use a snake hook and let the snake explore along the hook and up onto your hand/arm .

She has got he best setup out of all my snakes,but she threatens me.She acts all nice and inquisitive soon as I get close with no warning,bam

btw i have found that spotteds are flighty/ bitey little things for the first year and a bit .

Attachments

• 27202.jpg
    27202.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 74
She has got he best setup out of all my snakes,but she threatens me.She acts all nice and inquisitive soon as I get close with no warning,bam
So do you believe she is hungry? or feels threatened?

it sounds like its stressed , try leaving it alone for a couple of weeks . then try again to handle it - use a snake hook and let the snake explore along the hook and up onto your hand/arm .

As JAS101 said, leave your snake alone for a couple of weeks. Keep feeding if he's eating, but no handling or even watching, just the basic husbandry. Make sure the snake has ample places to hide and isn't in a busy area of the house. Then try again, very carefully and gently. A couple of minutes a day to start with, then very slowly build up. If you pick up the snake by hand, come from the side rather than from above and never grab. If he starts getting snappy again, ease off.

Will he grow out of it? Hopefully. Some snakes are like this when they first arrive in a new home. All snakes are different. Some don't mind being handled regularly, others don't like it at all and are a "look but don't touch" proposition. Get to know what your snake prefers.

How big is he? If he's a little small for his age, he might get more confident when he gets some size on him. Conversely, he might be large enough to take something bigger than a weaner and upping the size of his food might calm him down.

So do you believe she is hungry? or feels threatened?
I have exhausted every possible way to change her but have worked out that she is,like my Ex,all nasty and will never change.So I spend more time with all my others,and she gets left alone.

Hey there don't give up , I was given a spotted by someone who was scared off from it striking so much at them , we named it mr bitey :) we persisted with it for weeks holding it for say 10-20 mins every 2nd day and now he is my favourite snake to hold , ddoesn't bite at all , still is a bit flighty at times but no striking just persist ,don't show fear ,hold it as youth go. About your daily duties as it is not there and it will get use to u and calm down , I have even taken mr bitey on holidays with me this week up the coast :)

we have a spotted and we call her the brown snake some times they are just crazy my partner gave up on her but i just kept going and now she is amazing to handle just make sure its nice and full come feeding time

Hi Lara,
I have a bitey snake too. I am following the same advice above and now will just give it time.
Hopefully it doesn't put you and your son off the hobby?
Some snakes are just more placid then others. My mate has 2 children's python which are a dream to handle.
If you want a placid snake from the get go try one of those, and buy from a reputable breeder. They should want to sell you only a placid snake if your son will be handlng. Good luck

Sounds just like my young MD, I have had her for approximately 4-5 months now and she has been sooo frustrating. Really snappy and just would not be handled at all. Followed all the rules and persevering I think I'm getting somewhere, had her out today for 1/2 an hour and she only went for me once. Just keep at it.

I too have a nasty spotted. I have never held her without being bitten, then again, I don't hold her often. She feeds well (now, but hasn't in the past), temps and everything is fine. Sometimes can't even walk past the enclosure without her striking so often have a pillow case over it. I should probably handle her more to get her used to it although I am much more keen to hold the others that don't bite lol

other than that, no advice from me, sorry

Thanks for your advice everyone - I'm going to try two weaners at his next feed and we will persevere with the handling - he was handling fine when we first got him, but over the last 5 weeks has gotten progressively worse so I think also threatened but not sure what we've done wrong. My son absolutely loves him but he hates coming out of his enclosure now - when we do manage to get him out without ripping someone's arm off, he's fine for about 5-10 minutes. Will try all your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back