My new adopted duck!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we had a duck that used to follow our dog around thinking it was a dog !!!

the dog used to put its head through the fence when we'd leave and bark and the duck would try and bark as well

what the dog did the duck did !!!!

Last edited:
we had a duck that used to follow our dog around thinking it was a dog !!!

the dog used to put its head through the fence when we'd leave and bark and the duck would try and bark as well

what the dog did the duck did !!!!

I think he's already taking on dog traits! He also nips any of the dogs or cats on the nose if they get too close for his liking! Lol

They're pretty cute. I have 11 ducks at the moment. I have 5 that look about the same age as yours, 2 adolescent boys and 4 adults. They make pretty good pets. Mine do a great job of weeding, but they do make a bit of a mess, especially on the concrete.

These are the first ones I hatched. :D
View attachment 202998

Oh my gosh, they're adorable! What breed are they? I've been doing some research and I think Henry will be a Pekin duck, but won't be too sure until his feathers start to come through.
When I picked him up they guessed he'd be about 2 weeks old, do you think this could be right?

very very cute ! I wont one...wished they did stay that size !
so are you going to keep him 4good..He needs a friend!!
keep us updated on him growing :)

We are hoping to keep him as an adult, I'm already looking at chicken coops for him on ebay! I read that if he is a Pekin duck they actually like being with humans and will choose one as their "flock" member and be a loyal pet just like a dog!

Last edited:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG that is soooooo cute :D

He was just enjoying a stretch as I waz getting on the net...

Attachments

• 2011-05-31_19-36-38_598.jpg
    2011-05-31_19-36-38_598.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 36
Oh my gosh, they're adorable! What breed are they? I've been doing some research and I think Henry will be a Pekin duck, but won't be too sure until his feathers start to come through.
When I picked him up they guessed he'd be about 2 weeks old, do you think this could be right?

My ducks are muscovies. At a guess I would say yours is 2-3 weeks, mine at least start to get belly feathers at about 4 weeks. They're 5.5weeks now and they've started getting feathers on their tails and shoulders as well.

It's a bit hard to see much in this pic, but these are about 4 weeks old:
newpen1.jpg

and these are the same ducklings at 7.5 weeks of age:
7halfweeks.jpg

Oh wow Blackthorn, they grow so quickly! I've been taking lots of pics cause I know he'll start changing soon. He's already starting to get a few spike like feathers near his bum developing. I've heard muscovites are good domestic ducks, I'm hoping Henry will be too.

Last edited:
Well done for stepping up and taking the duckling, would have been sad thing to see such an innocent animal harmed in such a cruel way

Thanks! I've only had him a week and would already be lost without him, don't know why anyone would automatically think to kill it!

So I thought I would post some more updated pics of my beloved Henry! I have finally ordered him a coop off ebay (pic included), may need some adjusting for him but can't wait to receive it!
Anyone who has/had a duck is there any foods you found they loved that I may not have thought to try?

Attachments

• Henry1.jpg
    Henry1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Henry2.jpg
    Henry2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 24
  • Henry6.jpg
    Henry6.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Henry3.jpg
    Henry3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Henry4.jpg
    Henry4.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Henry5.jpg
    Henry5.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 24
I want a duck, where do you get them!!

Well this little fella had been dumped so I got him through a friend who found him.
He's doubled his weight nearly every week so far. He's had a bit of a cold and a few antibiotic shots at the vets to keep on top of it, they've been really helpful especially seeing as they don't get ducks in everyday!

We get Ducks come up our canal all the time, once a wild duck hung around our pool for a couple days despite the cats and dogs (When the dogs/cats got to close he would jump in the pool and start quacking haha) and we fed him some bread. He must have been injured because he couldn't fly very well so I think thats why he stayed but one day he just flew off into the sunset.........That was a sad day

I want a duck, where do you get them!!

Have a look on gumtree classifieds and farmstock classifieds, or other pet classified websites. You can also check out poultry or waterfowl forums to find breeders. I breed mine and sell a couple every so often. They make pretty good pets.

Also check out your local RSPCA, they often have ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back