my new turtle with pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve6610

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi,
for all those that have been following the other post about the turtle that was looking for a home in Mackay, well i've picked him up today and thought i'd post a couple pics as promised, hope you all enjoy,

cheers,
steve.......

nice looking turtle Steve. I great score by any standard.

he sure has some size to him, it's great that you took him in Steve

he is a big bugger, lol, wasn't expecting him to be that big, i'm just happy to give him a home, just have to make it bigger then first thought,

nice looking turtle Steve. I great score by any standard

he is very friendly also, he likes going for a walk and getting scratched under the chin, lol, i don't think of it as a score, more of doing my bit to help a nice lady out that was given the wrong info twice, and it was sad to see her so upset with having to part with her "tutty" , she had him for 3 years but he just grew to big for her to handle,

Damn, dude... that's gunna make a LOT of turtle soup... =^^= What species is he/she?

lol, come on swifty, i know your only joking, lol, he is a macquarie short-neck turtle,

cheers,
steve........

just a question for all you turtle people, how do i sex him, i keep calling it a him, but it would be good to know for sure, i also have a smaller one and with any luck they might be a pair, i was hoping to keep the 2 togther, lol, but i'm sure that tutty would eat louie, lol, my other guy is only about the size of this ones foot, lol,

cheers,
steve.......

I read in Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity that males will have a flatter belly and females more rounded if that helps.

Is the other turtle in the picture the rare dwarf form of the green backed ceramic?

With a turtle that size it should be pretty easy to sex. Males generally have a slight depression in their shell to make it easier to mount the female. Have a look at Craig Latta's excellent care sheet on the VHS web site:

http://www.vhs.com.au

Rennie said:
I read in Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity that males will have a flatter belly and females more rounded if that helps.

didn't it say in the other topic that it was 12cm or something? It looks alot bigger than that, or maybe you just have very small hands.

hi,
i'll check his size, lol, but not my hands, check out the lumps in the blue top, i'm a male, lol,

cheers,
steve.......

post a pick of the tail steve and we should be able able to tell you. the tail is markedly longer in the male. It is harder to tell with longnecks if you are not used to them.

ok, i'll try to get a pic of tail, but not easy holding his tail, him and camera at once, so it might take awhile, lol, i'm guessing that he has a long tail, but i've nothing that size to compare him with, lol,

cheers,
steve.......

for all those wanting to know, the size of this guys shell is 24cm long and 20cm wide, in my eyes thats bl##dy big, , my other guy is only 10 cm long,

cheers,
steve.......

That's what happens when you buy Murray River turtles from down south (VIC & S.A)!
They grow much, much bigger than the ones from Sydney and Qld. Most of the one's for sale in Petshops in S.A, VIC and Qld nowadays come from down south. All those kids begging their parents to get a little turtle are in for a rude shock in a few years! Its easy to see why so many were dumped into natural waterways back before licencing came in.

Expansa1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back