my spotted marsh frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Naga,
I have lots of spotted marsh frogs in my garden during the warmer months, theres a pond which always had taddy's in it, many different kinds but the only one Ive id so far is the spotted marsh, their so cute and come in many different shades.
I thing they hibernate for winter.

sorry about the typos

Great to know. Thanks heaps Lis.:)

im taking a water sample in tom morn to get tested for toxins etc.. but it could also be the mondo grass and moss that i got from bunnings could have introduced somthing. but they where all in the water when i found them so im thinking they couldnt get out of the water when the light went out and drowned.. the did have fairly good access points to get out tho...

Buying plants from a nursery or bunning even a local garden store will have fertilizers in it which will kill your frogs as it is toxic to them. you MUST wash all the soil off the roots so there is no soil left and then wash the plant itself under water which will garantee no fertilizers on the plants and cant be speaded to the frogs.

What's the best temp for them? Mine are looking a bit sluggish, and I've been worried. I'm in a fairly cold area of Melbourne. D'you think I'll need to get them some heating?

Marsh frogs are nocturnal, so there for they dont need heating, calcium or UVA/UVB, pretty much the easiest frog to keep alive in a standard container with a lid and food.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 3

P3040352.jpg

P3040348.jpg

P3180421.jpg

P3190435.jpg

P3270446.jpg

There Bigger now just havn't taken any picturs of them, to busy with my 4 tiny white lipped tree frogs now. never knew frogs could be so time consuming

Last edited:
Marsh frogs are nocturnal, so there for they dont need heating, calcium or UVA/UVB, pretty much the easiest frog to keep alive in a standard container with a lid and food.

There Bigger now just havn't taken any picturs of them, to busy with my 4 tiny white lipped tree frogs now. never knew frogs could be so time consuming

Thanks for clearing that up. What did you feed yours? Mine are on crickets; should I be giving them anything else to make them happy? Yours are gorgeous little guys!

mate im feeding mine crickets also, got told that isnt not best to feed mealworms to there adults as there asids in there stomach wont kill the mealworm and it will eat its way out.

Goes for any other frog also

Wood beetles are good too, also flies. I breed both, crickets set me back just under $20 every couple of days still though with the various other critters I have that eat them too. I hear crickets are no good/hard to breed so I'll just leave that to the experts and stick with woodies and flies which is relatively simple :p Otherwise moths & pinkys for frog food, but maybe not so much for Spotted Marsh. But variety is the spice of life. Just crickets is boring- How would you like it if you got served up the same tasting/looking/smelling/etc food day in and day out? Bleh.

Craig turns my grey clouds into sunshine. I could live in his backyard. He is SO knoweledgeable.... I dunno even how to spell that word.... He knows SO much about SO much! But yes, he does like to talk. Which I don't mind. I just soak it all up. I call him 'My Frog Man' :D

I feed mine pin heads, small worms, slater beetles(crawly beetle?) and these little bugs that look a bit like termites but darker.
Except for the crickets my garden supplies my food, few bits of cardboard and plywood lying on the ground.:) Heaps around when it rains.

Couple of pics I got of my guys
P6230026.jpg

P6170005-1.jpg

I've been feeding mine flies this last week. I got a tub of pupae with a cricket order. They didn't hatch for nearly 3 weeks I was almost ready to turf them, and then Bam! a dozen of them hatched. Stupid me put the whole tub in the enclosure, before checking how escape proof the lid was. I've now made a new neater fitting lid, but with all the flies getting round my house its starting to feel a lot like summer.

Frogs are loving them thou, so noisy and active everynight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back