Myco (sniffles) Plasma......treatment for rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

Myco (sniffles) plasma, in rats is not very treatable even with injectable or oral antibiotics, but after several experimental treatments l seem to have come across a treatment stratergy that works incredibly well, in fact after several weeks there "appears" to be no outward signs of Myco now this was not a clinical trial but one done at home, but as l have stated the two colonies of rats treated after several weeks show "NO" outward signs of an infection which in its self is a victory.......Now for the treatment l used on two colonies of six rats both suffering Myco when acquired from two "different" rodent keepers, they were all adults or sub-adults some suffering from IMO advanced Myco each rat was daily sub-cut injected with .15 of a ml. of Baytril but immediately after the injection l had a mix made up in a 500 ml. spray bottle of 1:100 strength F10 now the atomizer spray on the bottle was turned to ultra fine and the rat given 4-5 "good" fascial sprays with this (WARM) mixture and put back in their enclosure this was repeated daily for 7 days after which time no outward signs of the infection being present, Now l know Baytril and some other antibiotics knock Myco plasma around but nothing like this IMO. The two colonies treated have since have put on an excellent amount of weight and "appear" to be fine.........now this WAS NOT a clinical trial but one done at home but the treatment with the addition of F10 at the same time is streets ahead of just antibiotics IMO........cheers baden (solar 17)

This would have been great to try with my sick pet rat a few years ago, I usually just cull any stock who are showing bad symptoms, but being a pet I tried everything I could to help him get better. Keeping him inside and warm, on aspen instead of pine, and Baytril injections. But alas he must have been too far gone, and maybe his age played a part in it, he was nearly 2 (not OLD for a rat but past his prime definitely)

I hope others can test this out to see how it goes! Thanks for posting.

Lots of chronic lung infections respond quite well to inhaled/nebulised anti-infectives. Usually it doesn't effect a cure but does suppress it enough to allow the immune system to stay on top of it. We have a home nebuliser for similar purposes when caring for reptiles with RI's.

Sounds like you've had a good response in your rats Baden. Would probably be worth a proper clinical trial as its simple and cheap. Just need to get someone interested in doing it on a big enough scale to be meaningful.

One of my boys was knocking on death's door about a month ago, he was a bag of bones, lost all his condition within about a week. I give him a squirt of ventolin to help clear out the airways, and I fed him up on hill's feline KD (it's out of date stuff left over from my mum's cat who died of old age/kidney failure about 4 years ago). These days he's fine. Rattles like a jar full of coins on a washing machine, but he always has. He's back to normal weight and activity levels now, so I'm stoked.
I still give him ventolin every now and again, but he's 1000% better than he was:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back