Nail/claw clipping?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gday all,
I have noticed that my adult beardies have really long claws/nails, one to the point it is curled. Im just curious what the safe way would be to clip/trim them? and like dogs and cats, is there a point in the nail which i shouldnt cut past?

Cheers, Alan.

um.......
i'm not sure about whether to cut beardies nails or not......but
naturaly they should wear down themselves, but if this is not the case...
they will have a wick and you can't cut past the wick, if someone here says its ok to trim beardies nails i can do it for you.

i was told there just like cats you have to watch out for the vein they say just cut the tip off if you not so sure take them to the vet they'll do it for you.

i am a vet nurse and can do it for him, my concern is if it is nessesary for beardies and is it commonly done?

It can be done but care should be taken that not too much is taken off - only the minimum needed at a time really. It is necessary though if the nails are getting curled - perhaps a rock or a brick in the enclosure would help it wear away naturally.

If you are doing it, you can simply use ordinary toe-nail clippers and take off only the sharp end (you will see what I mean if you look closely). Have a bar of soap ready!!! If out of bad luck you hit the vein and make it bleed, scrape the nail across the soap straight away to stop the bleeding.

Simon Archibald

thats ok simy, if i do it for shermy i have cat nail clippers and dog nail clippers, much easier than human ones ;)
i can show you shermy how to do it if you like.
the rock idea is good cause after you manualy clip the nails then they can natualy do it themselves on a rock.
most vets in sydney charge $30 -/+ for nail clipping (rip off!)

Just a slightly ot Question for Bry (sorry sherm) Are rabbits claws the same? I bought a small pair of dognail clippers but havent used them yet. Bunny tends to freak out easy, would it be best to cover him, wrap snugly with a towel or something while i do them, or will that make him worse?

Bryony,
You'd be much better off doing it with toe-nail clippers. Beardies' nails are only small and I find it much easier and more accurate to use the human ones, especially having tried both.

Simon Archibald

no wrapping him with a towl, keeping one paw exposed (for clipping) is a great way to do it, wrapping him tightly but still loose enough for you to put 1-2 fingers inside the towel, if he is still freaking out then cover his head.
rabbits are a 2 person job.
rememer take off a small amount at a time, animals wick lengths vary from animal to animal

Thanks Bry, might be a vet job (its due to go for checkup anyways) not sure im game for it.It will be going into a larger enclosure soon and will have plenty to wear them down naturally , digging etc. :) will have a go, but if he freaks still its off ta da vet.

Teamsherman, about once a year I trim the nails on some of my lizard species that are kept inside away from hard surfaces. All the Bluetongues species, Shinglebacks, and Beardeds as well as my large Monitors. I have a special nail clipper designed for pets. Just put the nail through the hole and snip. Its dead easy to do. Just don't cut the nail too far back near the base or you may get bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back