Necropsy Results

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I performed a necropsy today on my deceased Kalimantan Tropdiolaemus wagleri (Wagler's Temple Pitviper). I found her to be free of parasites both in the lungs (where I expected to find worms) and in the lower and upper digestive tracts. I did find solidified fecies in the lower intestine that was causing a blockage. Small amounts of urine could pass but nothing solid. Leading to my conclusion that she died of impaction. All internal organs appeared healthy and free signs of trauma and disease.

Thanx for sharing that with us. I know it's hard but did she look like she was constipated before she died?

I could tell she had to deficate, and I soaked her quite abit, nothing really happened so I foolishly assumed she was okay. The feces that I found in her digestive tract was rock hard, like a bunch of little stones. There is not alot of reliable information regarding the captive husbandry of this species so anyone keeping them or breeding them is really pioneering. It is a hard lesson to learn, but a valuable one for the future. I jsut wish that an animal didn't have to die inorder for me to learn it.

A hard way to learn indeed, but you aren't the only one to have learned things the hard way. I am sure there are a few of out there who have lost snakes and now with the new knowledge you have aquired I am sure you will not loose another the same way.Hard luck but thanx for sharing it with us.

That's what it is all about Kev, sharing your knowledge so that others can benefit from it. A hard, very hard, lesson learned by you now can save many other keepers from the same occurrence and many other snakes from the same fate. If you are pioneering with a species then you are having a very valuable input to herpetology as a whole and have a reason to be proud, though at the moment, you also have a reason to be sad. I hope the former is greater than the latter in the long run. Good onya mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back