need help with dimonds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi i have dimond abt 6ft and they are pritty cranky 1 will hit the glass if u move your hand near it they r feed well and she is a very nice looking snake i was just wondering if some 1 can tell me how to settle her down and if it is possible..

you are just gonna have to deal with a few bites and get em out, use a hook to get them out and handle them for 30 min + and maybe they'll settle down

There are several ways in which this can be avoided. Firstly, how long have you had it and how long has it been in that enclosure? Sometimes just moving it into another enclosure will change the animals behaviour. Also, do you know if the strikes are due to aggression or is it more of a feeding response. Many hungry snakes will strike out when their keeper walks past, thinking that they're about to be fed.

Another cause of this may be due to the height at which the cage is situated. Snakes kept in low cages(around waist or knee height) rarely strike and settle down quickly. But snakes kept in cages that are shoulder/head height( eg. the top enclosure on a bank of cages) can often stay nervous and strike downwards at your face.

You can always cover the enclosure front for a while until it settles. If it is in a tank it may feel insecure as its exposed from all four sides. This may cause it to strike. Perhaps rearrange the cage so that hides and branches are further from the glass front.

Diamonds are a very docile python so it should settle okay in time.

Cover the glass if you have to. You don't want your snake constantly hitting the glass and ending up with a nasty mouth infection/canker.

its in a wodden enclosure about chest hight i have had it for abt 2 months ty

I've got a bitchy female diamond too. She is very cage protective and tagged me the other day....my fault. I became complacient when she was feeding and she thought i was food.....no harm done except for my ego....lol. She could be hungry. Do ypou feed her in her enclosure? She may think every time u come near its dinner time

even if you feed it outside the cage in like a feeding tub they still think oh here we go im going into my tub to be fed and get snappy, i personally think its better to feed inside cage but its up to the individual person and snake.

once he figure out the bites arnt affecting you he will, usually stop,my dad taught me a way to stop ferrets biting...u let it bite u on the finger,then u jam ur finger down its throat and hold it for ten seconds or so,,repeat if necessary,,DO NOT do this to any animal,its an old fasioned remedy that worked on ferrets,,(the ones it didnt kill)..any way i just let them bite me,the pythons anyway, usually presenting the fist,they do learn,,,not recomended for larger snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back