Neem oil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Magickal

Reaction score
Hey all.......first post in ages........... does anyone know of a thing called neem oil and wether it is safe to be used on reps at all........I am led to believe that it is instrumental in eradicatine pests from animals, would this be good in getting rid of mites at all?????????

please help........

:D Hello Caz, long time no see. Hope this find you all well. Sorry to hear the wee bairne's been crook, hope the poor lil mite gets better real soon :( . Give my regards to Dave too, hope hes recovering, tell him Im having a bourbon for him right now! (yes this early, just got home from work)
Back to the topic. Neem soaps and shampoos are also sold for both human headlice and for fleas on animals, must have some pesticidal properties. BUT..just because its proclaimed "natural" doesnt mean it wont harm a reptile. Sorry I cant give you more specific info, but I wouldnt personally experiment.
Nice to see you here again! :D

If you had access to a neem tree, then using the crushed leaves in water may help and should be non-toxic, wouldn't know about th epre-made soaps and oils and stuff.
Used it in India as a toothbrush, paste, cure-all tonic, general first line of defence medicine.

It's used around all sorts of animals day-to-day there they use it on all sizes of plants as an insecticide/deterant.
Unless there is something particular to reptile biology that made this stuff poisonous, i doubt it'd do any harm. BUT I personally have never used it on reptiles.

And i'd avoid any products that contain it, try and get a little plant sand bung it in the backyard!
It majick stuff!!!

I cant find much info on it./ I'd be careful as it means that testing on it is minimal.
I will check out on the system at work tomorrow as we subcribe to a few things that may shed more light.

Its toxic to aquatic life.
It contains sorbitol, petroleum, an emulsifier and a preservative.
Its used as a foliar spray, Sprayed onto the leaves of plants but I cant find what it is sprayed for specifically.
Safetty precausions recommends using barrier cream.
In its refined state as an insecticide powder it is more toxic etc.

Sorry to come in so late, but I was crusing the old pages and saw this post. Do not plant your own neem tree. They may be a declared pest species in some states and they will send up suckers all over the place, your yard and your neighbours. Birds will spread the seeds and you'll be surrounded by the bloody things (like I am :x )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back