New Background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelysmoley

Reaction score
This is the background I made, my dad mixed the render for me and liquid nailed the first bit of foam onto the back board and I basically did the rest. Thanks Tit4n (fake rock wall DIY thread) for the help on how to make one my woma now loves it I will post some picks

Liquid nailing all the foam together
u9utudy7.jpg

Carving the foam out to shape it all
ubu6ytyt.jpg

Putting the render on
pe4enepu.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the rest but this is what it's like in the enclosure
tuga2aga.jpg

e7u8yne8.jpg

any6ube3.jpg

Thanks Joel

Fantastic job Joel, i would be proud to display a backgound like that in my new enclosure only i am not artsy like that, i can build stuff and do electrics if i have to can even cut and polish glass if pushed to as well but to create something as magnificent and natural as that takes talent, you and your dad deserve big cudos for that 1.....well done.....................................................................Ron

that is a cooly cool backgroung enlosure congrats makes me wanna think of building a background
good job :)
thanks for sharing :)

haha im glad im inspiring others to enrich there reptiles by building backgrounds :D

Any DIY is inspiring to others, especially from one so young.
I have a homework assignment for you - Make sure you've done all your homework / chores first then jump on the PC (phone screen is too small)
type 'beckywheeler' into YouTube. And watch her !
In particular http://youtu.be/vwWVnzuDSV0
If you learn dry brushing you will lift your backgrounds to the next level of realism

Make a mock rock out of the scraps you have left over and show us your results :)

Wow thanks for the link JaxRtfm, i was trying to bring out the texture and make it more rock like but i didnt know how to do it, now i know and i definately do another background and will try dry brushing in the future when she goes into a bigger enclosure. :D

You're welcome. Like I said, glue some scraps together , use a bit of the left over render you probably have and do exactly what you did for the wall (except dont seal it til the paintings dine) and use it as a practice piece. You can always use it in your current enclosure.
If you put your thinking cap on you can make a hide for your woma :)

I cant remember i will ask dad when he gets home.

Thanks! I'm making one and I'm up to the render part...but I haven't been able to do anything for the last few days because of the weather. Not to mention that the stores are closed, the roads are closed and I'm stuck indoors because of the rain and wind.

That's where I learned too.
Great post, but it says -
"Now i have mixed cement+sand, put some render colour in (Optional) and some PVA glue to give it some flexibility and better bonding. Try to create a soup type compound where majority is PVA and only some water to thin it out."
I tried the cement mixture on my first attempt and it didn't work. So now I'm thinking just render. And yours has turned out great so I'll use what you did.

Less than $15 will get you a 20kg bag of render from bunnings I pay between $10- $14 dependent what they have. Sometimes it's marked 'acrylic render' other times its just 'render' but on the bag it states 'polymer added'. There's no need to go down the 'cement and sand' road unless your mates with a brickie and get it for nothing .

This is what I've currently got
puguhuby.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back