New enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hph

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Finally finished a couple of new enclosures for the jungle and the diamond. The jungle enclosure was a 2ft tank with the front panel removed and sliding tracks installed plus a diy rock background. The diamond one is just an old entertainment unit purchased from the salvos.
Gotta do something about the water bowl though cos it def look outta place :oops:

IMG_1394_3.jpg

IMG_1389_2.jpg

IMG_1389_1.jpg

cool tanks man hes your jungle looks like mine hehehe

Hey looks good, but I'm not real keen on that b/c kitty litter it cause all sorts of problems for eg. eye infections from the dust, a mate had a baby snake die because it got some in it's mouth, It dries your snakes out to much expecialy coming into shed

Any good alternatives to the b/c kitty litter ? These are in the living room and I'm not too keen on using newspapers. Have tried synthetic grass before but it doesnt absorb any smell as well especially after its been fed baby chickens :D

Hey hph - very cool.

I have one of those sitting in my garage and you have given me some ideas.

I have some questions though
- how is the lock attached to the base of the class (I am assuming glue)
- did you seal it (or just leave it as it is)
- other than the backing on it (which I assume you have added yourself - did you do anything else to it)

I would love to see some more pictures...

Alex.

The sliding tracks, locks etc are siliconed onto the glass. The backing was made out of styrofoam covered with black silicon and a mixture of sand. For the 2ft tank I also added a drilled perspex panel on the top.
Thats pretty much about it except for a plastic vent for circulation from bunnings.

Nice looking enclosure. Be very careful of the synthetic plant in contact with the light globe! :shock: I hate to be a stick in the mud, but safety first.

Cool, I 'll see to that. The light globe is one of those powercompacts which I thought wasnt generating as much heat as normal globes. Buy anyway, safety first just in case :D

hph said:
Any good alternatives to the b/c kitty litter ? These are in the living room and I'm not too keen on using newspapers. Have tried synthetic grass before but it doesnt absorb any smell as well especially after its been fed baby chickens :D

Personally I like BC and have been using it for years without problems.

An alternative is aquarium gravel (which is what I switched from). It looks good and can be spot cleaned but is more work in the long run because it needs to be thouroughly washed both before you use it and fairly regularly. It is also good thermal balast in that it conducts and holds heat well.

i use Forest Gold eucalyptus mulch for my jungle and my olive. Its cheap and looks good. I havent had any problems with it as yet. I empty mine on to a tarp and leave it in the sun for about 2 days to get the dust off and let it dry out a bit. you can get it fom bunnings for about $7

Why not get a 5, 15, 20kg eco litter bag from animal attraction.

http://www.animalattraction.com.au/...44d06eec83d2c8cb&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=29

An environmentally friendly, multipurpose pet litter manufactured from 100% natural Australian pine and hardwood plantation timber waste compressed into pellets. Eco-Litter is an excellent alternative to traditional clay based litters. The ultra absorbent, clean, easy to use pellets are economical and safe to use with all types of reptiles.
The natural wood oils and resins in Eco-Litter are anti-microbial, inhibiting odour causing bacteria, keeping enclosures smelling fresh and clean.
Absorbency is very important for the life of the litter as well as odour control. One kilogram of Eco-Litter will rapidly absorb approximately 4 litres of odour causing liquids trapping moisture and odours before they can spread.
Eco-Litter is a 100% biodegradable all natural product. It decomposes quickly and may be composted into flower gardens or flushed in small amounts (check local council regulations). Used litters should not be placed in gardens producing food for human consumption.
Eco-Litter is a superb natural surface for all manner of reptiles. Its high waste and odour absorbency makes it a superior substrate for snakes, lizards, spiders, etc. Eco-Litter will not produce dust, which can block and inflame sensitive breathing and sensing organs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back