New Forum Proposal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Administrator

Here are some proposals for two new forums, please voice your ideas and put in a vote on whether you think they should be implemented.

Kid's Talk: Especially for chat between young budding herpetologists.

General Herps: For talk about all things herp, that don't fit exactly into out other herp categories.

I think a Kid's talk room is the way to go.As I mentioned to Slateman I think an older person with good communication and parenting skills should moderate it.Other members can then give there advice and the moderator in question could explain it in a way the kids would understand. After answering young Poppets questions last night I found it hard to explain in a way a young child would understand,and ended up editing my post several times lol.Luckily they have a great father that im sure did a good job of explaining what I ment.

I kinda like the idea but if we had a forum then wouldnt we be seperating different age groups of APS members?

Idea

Personally, I think a kids forum is a great idea, as it gives young kids their own "special place" where they can meet and talk about things that interest them.

They can still post to the other areas of the site if they have questions or comments that are relevant - no problem. But kids would probably like to chat to each other in ways that may bug adults, and I think this is a good way to keep everybody happy.

I'm actually looking forward to reading their posts (no boiled lolly jokes please, Hawkeye and Africa!). :shock: :evil:

You can be sure that we will be keeping an eye on them and hopefully protecting them from any possible bad elements.

My unofficial opinion is that they should be able to talk about anything they want (within reasonable guidelines of course) and grownup members should in no way discourage them.

Thanks rep rascal, poppet got a kidtalk translation and said "wow cool" ! just wondering how a kids forum could be protected i.e. how to prevent an adult posing as a child from getting in and doing harm? we hear about net predators everyday, its a worry. I never let my kids go online unless under my immediate supervision, but not all parents have time to "be there". ?????????

Yeah

Absolutely, Wattso. I understand your concern. However, I know there are enough caring adults on this site who will keep an eye on things. I think Slatey's heart is definitely in the right place with this idea, and I know all the moderators will keep an eye on it very closely. I've usually got APS running in the background at work and I know even non-moderators/admins will keep an eye on it and let us know if there are any problems.

In any case, I'd say you are definitely a responsible parent, and I'd also say that all parents should keep an eye on young kids on the Internet, no matter where they go, and teach them about the possible pitfalls of online chatting.

I'd like to think that the majority of members on the site feel that we belong to a family here, not just a web site, and as such, feel a level of responsibility towards our younger members.

Personally, I'd immediately ban anyone who dared to try that sort of thing here! :evil:

Good to hear Davo, I met slatey and i have to agree, hes kind of of patriach aint he!
I'm all for kids having a part in a great site and a terrific hobby! {thumbs up} :D

I see 2 sides to the kids thing
a. We are a herp site and dont want to get too gooey, some members may not be family oriented and it all may be a bit much if overdone.

b. My boy is right into reptiles and i think it would encourage him further if there was something he could participate in, so,
Ive signed him as his own user "sydthekyd" and set up a photo album for him. He's too young to read or write so he cant post on threads, but he can see himself on this site, and as part of this site, and as time goes on he will get involved. How long will this site go on? You may watch a child develop into a real herp.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

How could I do anything but encourage a little guy who loves his reptiles this much?

Enclosures seems to be the only thing I can think of off the top of my head, anyone else?

Kids forum is a great idea. Definately need to keep an eye on who's using it and how. Do you see it as a kids only forum or would grown ups be allowed to answer questions?

Enclosures are definately something I have an interest in. I think there are so many aspects of enclouser building and furnishing that you could easily keep a forum going on that topic alone. An enclosure gallery would also be great for getting new ideas.

I look forward to the development of both.

Graham 8)

PS just noticed there is a gellery with enclosures - it pays to pay attention!!!

The kids forum could have an interesting fact thread, or a basics of herps style thread (I enjoyed reading the posts back to the poppets - it its interesting to try and explain at that level and I think everyone did a good job and yes, I learnt myself). A mini trivia thing or name the reptile in this photo etc.
I think adults will be involved to monitor and partake.

I will be one adult there all the time. With my limited knowledge about herps, i can finally learn something.

Great ideas there ad! basic herp ifo/name the reptile etc is just right for kids, maybe kid rep trivia? Poppets will enjoy it too. Nice to see tiny tots like sydthekid too :)

P.s. Slateman & mods, I had a ball in reptile trivia last night , lots of fun and all freindly! Thats what its all about! Thanks for a fun night everyone :D

i think a kids forum would be gr8, i know my kids would totally enjoy it ,so im all for a kids forum

Maybe combine the two, and we could have a forum on how to build enclosures to keep the kids in. I can post pictures of the closet I converted for this purpose in gallery. :twisted:

Closet

A Closet? A CLOSET? Luxury!!!! Why, when I was a kid, 6 of us lived in a SHOEBOX!!!!

LMAO Africa your rubbing off on people rofl !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back