New Froggy friend, ID anyone?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda1032

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Found my new best friend tonight. I think I have it narrowed down to a species but I'd love opinions as the pic in the book does this little treasure no justice.
He was very quiet to handle and I got a very good look at him.

Attachments

• P1010188.JPG
    P1010188.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 207
Nup. Different part of Oz. Definately a looker though.

Striped Burrowing Frog (Cyclorana alboguttata) older books may have it as Litoria alboguttata. It can be predominately green or brown or a mixture of the two colours.

Blue

Mike is correct it's a litoria alboguttata

Cheers
scott

Is it possible that it is Cyclorana verrucosa (it appears there is little webbing on the feet)

Gavin

I agree it is Cyclorana alboguttata. I see you are in Qld where it is allowed so, are you planning to keep this frog? If so you should be aware that burrowing frogs as this are often tricky to keep. They do not like moist conditions for extended periods of time, sitting on wet substrate causes them to get foot sores which can become infected killing them. If kept drier they will burrow for extended periods untill wet again, the depth they need to burrow can be substantial and having less depth than they need will cause them to attempt to burrow into the bottom of the enclosure wearing away at their feet, giving them foot sores... etc. I don't know what method is primarily actually used to keep them successfully but I suggest you find out to give your new froggy friend the best home it can have.

Is it possible that it is Cyclorana verrucosa (it appears there is little webbing on the feet)

Gavin
CV skin is warty and rough. Dark streak runs from tympanium to shoulder.
CA skin is smooth with raised areas. Dark streak runs from tympanium dorso-laterally along flanks towards groin but breaks usually braks up..

could it be Litoria raniformis?
The key difference is in the digits...
LR the digits are long, thin and flat and end in a narrow, flat disc; toes are nearly fully webbed.
CA the fingers are short and thick. All digits end in a blunt point with a slight downward curve; toes are only half webbed.

Colour/Pattern differences...
LR dark streak through eye starts at nostril. It is edged above by a thick cream skin fold starting behind the eye and running to the groin; LR upper lips same as base colour, sometimes with a lighter wash across them; lower lip and front of throat is clear white.
CA dark streak often starts in front of nostril and break ups on the flanks; a light edging can sometimes occur, starting from about the nostril but quite thin; upper lips and throat are cream or light, mottled with darker streaks.

Blue

I agree it is Cyclorana alboguttata. I see you are in Qld where it is allowed so, are you planning to keep this frog? If so you should be aware that burrowing frogs as this are often tricky to keep. They do not like moist conditions for extended periods of time, sitting on wet substrate causes them to get foot sores which can become infected killing them. If kept drier they will burrow for extended periods untill wet again, the depth they need to burrow can be substantial and having less depth than they need will cause them to attempt to burrow into the bottom of the enclosure wearing away at their feet, giving them foot sores... etc. I don't know what method is primarily actually used to keep them successfully but I suggest you find out to give your new froggy friend the best home it can have.

You can keep wild frogs??? I did not know that one! I don't keep wild animals, Unless they are ill then they can stay in accomodation til they are well enough to leave. I don't need to keep frogs here, I'm surrounded by them!
We have Dwarf Eastern Tree frogs outside the front door in the Hibiscus. Dainty Tree's all around the yard. Green Tree's that disturb our sleep and red tree frogs (Litoria rubella) that love to get into the house. The occasional Peron's tree frog makes an appearance and beautiful ornate burrowing frogs in the grass.

I thought he was alboguttata but the photo in the book and the only one I've seen before were much more brown. Thanks for the ID help. He was the best frog ever. Just sat there and let me investigate his markings... sorry, could be a she! So easy going!

I'm not entirely sure of the system up there, but you can keep wild frogs. However I'm not sure but maybe if you have a reptile license you can't or something. It's a bit odd. Anyway just didn't want you to try keeping one of the harder frog species without being warned.

QLD law allows you to keep frog species captured on your own property. They also must be released back onto your own property once you have finished "keeping" them. There is a certain number you can do this for and I am searching for the DERM link I was reading about it.

Will edit post once I find it again.

QLD law allows you to keep frog species captured on your own property. They also must be released back onto your own property once you have finished "keeping" them. There is a certain number you can do this for and I am searching for the DERM link I was reading about it.

Will edit post once I find it again.

This is true, certain number of each species. I think if you have a license though it is a no go.

stupid really, I'd trust a person with a license to have more knowledge and be better eqipped to care for them. Joys of living in QLD... the dark ages!

haha its darker in Tasmania u can catch and keep wild reptiles and frogs and its illegal to sell\purchase them

***? INSANE! So you just go and collect whatever the heck you wanna keep?

I agree wit your signature Tassie97. equality for all states... just not the fees of NSW LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back