new gilleni, worried about 1 of them

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLACkra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

well i recently got 2 new gilleni. ones larger than the other one. anyways the larger one is doing fantastic ate the day i got him. the smaller one hasn't really been really into her food. she/he took a roach from my fingers yesturday when under the instructions of Sdaji had had its head smashed in. however the smaller one seems quite fatiqued today and won't take any roaches. i was worried that the two of them weren't getting enough heat and were having trouble accessing the nessesary temperatures. so i uped the heating from 2 40watt spotlights to two 100watt spotlights. i also made the goanna stack only 1 level high(had 2 tiles stacked ontop of each other with bits of wood to space them, the gilleni don't seem to be able to grip the tiles easily). also i noticed the big one was spending quite some time just scampering about (sliding really) on the tile. so i put a cardboard box ontop and a nice piece of wood in the corner. anyways hes doing great i found him asleep in the corner and chucked him to small roaches which he devoured but she is still acting sluggish. atm sitting in a plastic flowerpot hide on the cold side. I do not know for certain if she hasn't eaten today. basking temps are now in the 50'C range and cold end about 30'C. with the increased temps the bigger one has become a greedy guts!

i'm guessing its most likely a stress thing due to the new enclosure and i doupt my fiddling with the enclosure decore has helped. not going to move anything in the enclosure and will leave them alone all of tommorow(won't even go into the room they are in) and will shove some roaches on on thursday.

just thought i'd start this thread as i am worried.

Andrew

As you know sdaji is the best person to talk to about gillens but I just thought I'd mention that I had a little trouble getting one of mine to feed regularly when I first got them (from sdaji). I can only put it down to being a little stressed in its new home. After experimenting with food I've found that she simply can't resist spiders or moths which I can find fairly easily. So if you're still having trouble it might be worth a try.
cheers, jordo

thanks for the info jordo. she seems a bit more lively today so i reckon shes calming down. also seemed a bit more interested in the food so theirs a hole heap of roaches in their. will go spider hunting tonight :)

andrew

ok little update the big one is doing great, little one still seems fatiqued but is spending lots of time at the warm end in the 55'C or so basking spot :). wiggled a spider(huntsman or something) infront of her and she just sat there. i guess she hasn't settled in yet.

andrew

wolf spiders are good and easy to finf

ya thats what i offered and she wasn't interested. i'll definatly find more and add them to the enclosure.

andrew

well good news big boy just downed a juivie huntsmen and little girl ate the wolf spider thign i put it after i assulted it with a weapon(feeding tongs :)) and got her somewhat awake. she downed it :). the big boy looks like a blimp i'm not goign to offer him directly any food tommorow if he wants any he can hunt for it. i'll definatly try to get the little girl to eat another spider tommorow.

so things are looking up :D

andrew

I wouldn't direct feed any of them. They love chasing food way too much!!

not this girl. food wanders by her and she just looks at it... the big boy chases food but dosen't put too much effort into it. if its a roach on the very other side of the enclosure hes like meh. but i do leave a few roaches running loose in the enclosure so all they gotta do is hunt them down.

andrew

ok well i went in to feed them today and i noticed the little one is shedding. anyways i smash a roaches head and offer it to her. she just looks at it then walks off in the other direction. i try again she runs off. i gave up. anyways shes now fully awake and i'm watching them from across the room and wam she grabs a roach :) so i guess alls good now. just had to settle in.

thanks for all the help and advice guys,

andrew

Thats good news, she probably just snatches roaches when she thinks your not looking :)

most likely! i've added a few largeish bits of wood from the newly build woodpile(we recently got a wood stove) and added them. they gave it their seal of approval :). now that everythings good i'm going to cut back on the amount of roaches i was letting freely run around the enclosure there are a few random dead roaches here and there which i am removing. they both took their reptical dusted roaches today straight from the feeding tongs but the undusted feedings are going to be free roaming :)

i'll take some pics soon and post them tommorow :)

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back