Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_BNE

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
New member from Brisbane here.
I have been a reptile fan for a VERY long time - both snakes and lizards, I'm in my late 30's now, but had my first lizard when I was 13, and have had a great many over the years.
I've had beardies, an eastern water dragon, two NT Frill neck's, but I've not yet had a snake.

Recently, my children got a childrens python at their mothers house and this has really sparked my love of snakes...
So I'm in the process of setting up a small terrarium and finding the right hatchling jungle python...
I'm aware that jungles aren't typically the nicest breed, however, I'm more than willing to put in the time and effort to try to calm its temperament, and if that doesn't work, well... It'll make a pretty pet anyway...

In any case, this is my intro! I look forward to sharing pics of my new best friend as soon as I get it! :D

Welcome. When i forst got JP he was about the size of a shoelace and a snarky little bugger.

He'd fling himself off the dining table trying to get to someone across the room that moved and would constantly strike me when getting him out of his cage.

Over the space of a month or so, with almost daily handling, he calmed down and within a couple of months he was as docile as my two Bredli's.

He's been in a 4 x 2 x 2 converted aquarium since he came here. He'd set himself up in corners and find his way around the levels just fine. he'd find warm spots and hides where he could, laying under carpet corners or under leaves or in hides.

Jp's about 4' long now or more, about to go from weaner rat's to small's and is the most gentle, affectionate companion you could wish for.

He never strikes on picking him out of home (i wait for them to show they are awake after opening doors) and he's handled by toddlers and adults alike.

He's the only one of my snakes who will come back to you after putting him on the table and crawl right back up your arm and settle there.

I love him to bits.

Looked like this after he was here a few months.

snake40.jpg

Looks like this now.

snake107.jpg

In summary, with my experience of one animal, you get out what you put in.

YMMV

Back