New reptile license

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayva07

Reaction score
Im planning on getting a new standard reptile license/ renewing my current one.
I have 2 snakes and plan on getting another soon one of the snakes I got isn’t on my license as the person I bought him from didn’t give the details or anything to transfer him to my license and I need help figuring out how to get him on my license. His previous owner stop responding to any of my messages. Any idea on how to get him on my license before I renew it?

good luck with that, you can try giving the authorities as much info on seller (name, phone number, address etc.) as you can. But most likely he didn't have a license anyway. You have 2 choices, declare it's not on license and risk them seizing your snake or saying nothing and hoping they don't inspect your house. Which mostly never happens as they don't have enough staff
Advice for future. never buy a reptile without details exchanged, in some states it is actually illegal to buy/sell without sighting the license

You can try listed it as gifted in, if they come back to you, you can explain what happened, after all it is better for them to be licensed. Remember the standard license is for a companion animal (single animals only), you will need to upgrade to a keepers license in NSW.

Each state/ territory has its own set of regulations, so the first up I’d recommend is that you check the regs for your area. As a general rule, wildlife authorities will not license an unlicensed reptile in order to prevent people from legalising wild caught animals. And as Dragonlover1 pointed out, you may have already be deemed to have done the wrong thing, even though you thought you were doing things correctly.

As suggested, you could try contacting your local authority, but make sure you speak to the person who makes the decisions, not just an office assistant. From personal experience I can tell you that people who work in enforcement agencies vary from highly reasonable, to straight out Gestapo-like. Because of the latter, I would proceed with caution. Maybe use a public phone and tell them you are asking on behalf of a friend who you want to help. Let them know the details of the transaction and the problems with the seller and see how they respond. Expect them to mention that possession of protected fauna is illegal and one can be fined. If that is all they tell you, then they probably will not make an exception despite the extenuating circumstances. Whatever, I wish you good luck.

Back