New Salamander

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricked

Reaction score
well, acctually and axolotle. just a few last minute questions. the girls told me i would need a plant to oxygenate the water, is this true? also, will i need a wildlife licence? (which i have for my coastal, just wondering) she also said it wouldnt be neccesary for a filter, just when i change the water put one of those tablets. so, any info and the axolotle?

You shouldn't need any plants. You will require some sort of filter to provide water movement (in this case very slow) bacterial filtration and depending on the filter you get mechanical and/or chemical filtration. Similar to a fish tank your setup and filter will need to be cycled. That means you have to build up the required colony of bacteria to convert the ammonia created by the axolotls waste to nitrite and then nitrate. To cycle a tank simply add a nutrient source equivalent to what you will be feeding the axolotl. So some fish food every day ect. This will break down and provide food for the bacteria to multiply. The process of cycling a freshwater tank generally takes a week or so. You will then need to do regular water changes to keep the nitrate level down.

Also they like being in cold water, so on a hot day make sure you either have the tank in an air conditioned room or have a fan blowing air at the water surface. This will increase evaporation keeping the tank cool.

Andrew

Okay I was going to give you some advice but there you go ^.

thanks for all the great info. what do you think about the price i thought it was great, the things about 15cms and black, and its only 35$

But in saying that it's a bit too hot to keep them happy up here. most people like to kill them instead of buying a $400 chiller

hmm, thats interesting. im getting it in victoria. what do you guys reckon, change the water how ever much it will need to be changed, or get a filter?

Was going to offer my advice. I have had a axo as a pet for the last 8 years here in Brissy. I have had it since birth and have never chilled the water gotten refridgeration. There is alot of great advice already given to you. I wish you every success with your new addition

if in doubt on hot days wack em in a container and put em in the fridge of ice cube in the top of the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back