New spot ( Boots mandatory )

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Found a new spot very close to home that seems to be a hot spot for RBBS. To visit it you have to be prepared to walk in long grass where you know there are venomous snakes residing. I'll have to visit it when it is a lot cooler, up here on the Sunny Coast RBBS are (for the most part) very shy and very fast, the only Shelia I got a shot at didn't see me until I managed to get close to her. When she realized that danger was about she shot off in the direction she was facing, which was towards me. If Joe Public was involved the report would have redoubtably been "Man chased by snake". Her safe hole was about 10 cm from my foot and she disappeared down it faster than I thought a snake could move.
Sorry about the photo quality, I had the F-spot up to high, but you can plainly see that the snake is in a REALLY good paddock ;)
PS. I would not be surprised if there be tigers here too

Opps - Its F-stop not spot. I was thinking of a G-S...:oops:

Attachments

• DSC_7344.jpg
    DSC_7344.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_7345.jpg
    DSC_7345.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Nice find , I'm heading up to the sunny coast with a few mates this weekend to do some 4 wheel driving in the mud :) I will be trying my hardest to find some snakes while I'm there , I would love to see a tiger snake there , I'm sure I have seen a small one there years ago but I didn't have a camera with me .

Cheers
Nico

I carnt see the pic real good on my phone but it looks like a small eyed snake ?

Last edited:
Nice photos - if you want to photograph snakes in that setting wouldn't it be better to find a spot where they are likely to come to bask or to drink and set up the camera on a tripod and wait quietly for them to come there ? Probably get some lizards show up too if you are quiet and don't move about too much.

Browns and blacks are indeed very beautiful snakes.

Had a few encounters with them when fishing and sitting quietly on a river bank. Never encountered one who was acting agressively towards me - more inquisitive than anything.
Yes I know they can bite and are venomous.

The dangerous snake is the cornered snake or the one who feels threatened by you or who accidentially got stood on or was surprised by you (hard to surprise a snake when walking about in long grass or on ground covered with twigs and dead leafy stuff).

My limited experience is that snakes would rather give humans a wide birth and get out of your way when they hear you coming (or see you approaching).

Boots are good idea anyway - barbed wire, spiders, sharp things hidden in the grass and there is aways the chance of snake biting you (even if it's rare).

Last edited:
I carnt see the pic real good on my phone but it looks like a small eyed snake ?
You wouldn't ask that it you could see the image at a decent resolution.

Nice photos - if you want to photograph snakes in that setting wouldn't it be better to find a spot where they are likely to come to bask or to drink and set up the camera on a tripod and wait quietly for them to come there ? Probably get some lizards show up too if you are quiet and don't move about too much.
An effective method with birds but fairly useless with reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back