New Stimson owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompers

Reaction score
Howdy!
I've just purchased my first snake and am loving it!
I've searched forums to answer some questions I have but with no luck.
I bought a young stimsons blotched from the pet store recently it's approx 45cm in length and I'm told it has been fed weekly on pinkies, but I have. No idea on its age. Since then (3 weeks) it has a veracious appetite, it has been fed 2 pinkies for 2 weeks with no troubles, and I've just moved it up to a rat pinkie. Any way I can determine how many months old it is?
And how old should it be before I have it sexed by a vet or otherwise?
Thanks in advance :)

might want to go up a size in mice instead of going to rat pinkies. pinkies lack fur and dont have as much calcium as you want.
if you take your time you will be able to sex it with help from this site Determining the Sexes of Snakes

Yeah for that length I would think pinky mice are quite a bit too small. Typical indication is the food item should be about as thick as the fattest part of the snake.
It sounds big enough to sex now. I wouldn't suggest trying it yourself though. There may be people on here who are willing to help you out so you don't have to pay a vet.

Good luck finding out the sex. And as for food size remember they need to stretch their head and body. Helps release important hormones for growth and development. At that size I would prob say anywhere from 6-12 months. Snakes grow in relation to how much food they eat. I saw a 14month old Stimmie at a pet shop and mine were that size after only 6 months. Also once you go to rats try to stick with them, more nutritious. Mine recently ate Hopper Rats (very large in comparison to the snake) and they were very happy with the size and are hungry again (after only 7 days). I suggest don't be afraid to try a slightly bigger size. I have attached a pik just so you can see the size difference.
Again good luck and have fun. You chose a good starting snake :) they are nice and placid ones View attachment 225704

Thanks peeps!
Sinners121 I read that link, good article. Don't think I feel confident in visually determining the sex, despite the snakes length, (45)cm it seems too thin (1.2cm in girth at its thickest point) for me to visually see any bumps for sex organs at the tail end, or perhaps it's female..
Here's some pics :)
7caa4335-e5a5-0091.jpg

7caa4335-e61a-6d51.jpg

Thanks for the help! You guys n gals are great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back