New to Group & Herps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysnakeau

Reaction score
:D Hello
My name is Kathy. I am 32, & own a pet store on Mid-North Coast, NSW. I opened up my shop for the love of the animals while my partner is happy to keep up the business side of things. So that gives me room to start considering some professional training in the Animal Husbandry side of things.

Have always had interest in reptiles so would like to put my interest in to training to learn about them in depth. I don't have any herp pets atm but have been searching the net, looking for courses (hopefully not too far from home) to study in Reptile Husbandry. It would also be nice to be able to help out my customers with a more professional front, so hopefully will find something to help me out. I know I can't sell reptiles in my shop but I can sell their equipment, food, books and have the knowhow to help them with their pets.

Eventually I would like to try a frog tank and maybe a snake but am not in a hurry to jump the gun before I've done proper research and have all the gear I need, first. Might take a while but can still have a lot of fun chatting, and learning in the meantime.

Nice to meet you all. Hope I can make some nice friends. Be nice to even find some close to home.

Kathy :D

hi kathy

welcome to the site, you will find heaps of useful information here

cheers

tracey

Welcome to the site and good luck with the shop.

Hey Kathy welcome to the site were a friendly bunch here so no matter what question you have make sure you ask it and get ready for a good response lol welcome

Mid North Coast Kathy...Near Port Macquarie? if so we have an excellent member in your area plus you have a herp society there as well. It is also great to see a pet shop deciding to get some experience in herps before selling the equipment.

As for animal husbandry experience I think you can't go past simply working with breeders and learning from them. They may also prove beneficial to your business.

You should also PM NCHerps or Hugsta as they are wholesalers to the trade of herp products. They are also very experienced keepers of reptiles. Pythoninfinite will also provide you with your frozen rodents at fantastic prices as well as offering excellent husbandry advice. He has actually been acknowledged in internaqtion python books.

As for yourself, start simple, get a blue tongue/bearded dragon/childrens python or carpet python. (Better still - the lot) Set up a qualty enclosure(s) and use that as your model for selling them to others. All th epeople I have mentioned above will give you perfect advice about how to set the enclosures up and if you become a customer then they will be even more interested in helping you.

also, I would love to come and visit your shop. where are you?

Cheers

Pete

Thanks guys. Looks like a great website and group of ppl to be around.

Hey Kathy, as a newbie myself, this site is great and I have been given some great advice from the "old stagers" on this forum.....Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back