Newbie needs help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mciver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie and this is my first post. I found this site today, by accident, while looking for a reptile ID (namely a Bandy Bandy snake – as it turned out).
I found the hapless little bloke in the bottom of an empty in ground pool at the site of an abandoned burnt out house at the end of a “no through (dirt) road”, in the middle of nowhere.
He is one lucky little rep, as he was in full view of any number of aerial predators, with absolutely nowhere to hide. He was cut off from any food source and was also at the mercy of the elements. How long he was there was anyone’s guess. He was in good nick judging by his overall appearance and vigor. His final bit of luck was that it was me that found him and not a local who almost invariably believe “The only good snake………”.
I’ll relocate him tomorrow away from the pool but near enough by to be on his range.

To continue then, I have always loved snakes and seeing your site made me pine for a pet ~~~~~o< again. Last one I kept was 35 years ago. There were no permits (not that I knew of) then, and I remember a guy in a pet shop in Sydney quoting the price of a Carpet at $1.00 per foot.

Anyway I thought how nice it would be to get reacquainted with the hobby again. Now comes the gritty bit, can anyone tell me definitively, what permit is required in QLD to keep pythons? What are one’s prerequisites to obtain the permit? And, what is the fee? I have tried to source the info from QLD web sites but can’t seem to find the complete answer. I know it varies from state to state, so I’m asking QLD permit holders to reply to this post please.

Best regards to all
Paul

Hi mate and welcome to the site. Good on ya for saving the little guy, good karma is coming your way. Unfortunately i can't help re: the licensing info as i'm in NSW, but i'm sure someone here will help you out really soon.

Anyone from 13 years & up can hold a license . Just print out this attachment , fill it in & send it of with $ 52.55 for a 5 year permit & you'll also need a log book which costs $ 5.75 .

Thanks everyone for your help, in particular C'baoth, I looked every where for that form.
Best regards to you all
Paul

BTW Here's a pic of the little bloke

BTW Here's a pic of the little bloke

regards Paul

Love that knot it has tied itself into ! :lol:

Heaps of Brissie people online here mciver, so settle in and prepare to meet a whole new crowd of herp addicts. ;)

Ahh nice bandy bandy. They're scarce eaters, only feeding on blind snakes, so they can survive a hell of a long time without eating. Guess it was lucky no other predator came along first, but yep, a great looking snake... venemous to boot.

If you're anything like some of the folks here, you'll be 'persuaded' into buying your 5th snake in no time. Seriously, these kids can't get enough. What kind of snake are you looking at for your first?

BTW, love that '$1 a foot' quote. Wish they were that cheap these days :p

Hi and welcome,
Great pic, i'd love a Bandy bandy. Anyone know much about them?
Anyway mciver, ecoacess is your best bet (just google it), or it will take you about 5 min at your local parks and wildlife (in the phone book).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back