Nightwalk for Leaf-tails (Phyllurus platurus)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
This past week, I visited a Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus platurus) colony that I have watched for a few years. On the first night, I only saw a single gecko but on the second, I found two. These lizards are so cryptically coloured that it is possible to walk right by them even when they are standing on an open rock face.

In this area, I almost always find the geckos on rock outcrops within eucalyptus forest. Here are a couple of examples of the gecko habitat:
WGhabitat1.jpg

WGhabitat2.jpg

This individual had its original tail. It was initially standing head-downwards at the base of a boulder. This seems to be typical of these geckos when they are hunting. In this photo, the gecko had shifted a little and was working its way towards a crevice.
Phyllurus_platurus_z.jpg

... the tail:
Phyllurus_platurus2z.jpg

... a closeup of the tail:
Phyllurus_platurus6.jpg

This gecko had a regenerated tail:
Phyllurus_platurus1.jpg

Phyllurus_platurus2.jpg

As I walked along, I saw a slight movement on a rock face. It took me awhile to finally spot the animal. When it pressed itself tightly against the rock, it was very easy to miss. It had recently lost its tail and was just beginning to regenerate a new one:
Phyllurus_platurus4.jpg

Phyllurus_platurus3.jpg

Phyllurus_platurus5.jpg

A night walk is always interesting since there are plenty of animals to see. I hear the yapping of Sugar Gliders each night but they usually are hard to spot in the treetops. Last night, a Brush-tailed Possum bounded away and harshly scolded me from a tree. Further along, I heard something moving in a tree above me and then found this cute Common Ring-tailed Possum.
possum2.jpg

possum1.jpg

I imagine that the geckos and some of the larger spiders compete for food on the rock faces. Spiders like this are a frequent site near crevices:
spider1.jpg

Crickets were frequent on the rocks. The most common was this small species:
cricket1-1.jpg

... sometimes I see these that remind a little of Camel Crickets:
cricket2a.jpg

These big predaceous crickets are also a frequent sight. The female regurgitated an absolutely rank smelling fluid on my fingers.

... female (during day):
cricket1.jpg

... male:
cricket3.jpg

Here is a mystery photo from the day in the same area. I wonder if anyone can recognize what is behind the branches?
WGLyrebird.jpg

Regards,
David

Great photo's David, that first shot is EXACTLY what I want to reproduce in a large display cage I am building, I might use your photo as a model if that is OK.
That would be a lyrebird, I have heard them but never seen one.

again great shots , dont want to give the answer asim 1st to veiw but i'd give 10 cents for the mystery prize---- ok second

Nice pic David, I used to have a spot in a suburban park where a large boulder was, the boulder had a deep crack in it, about 40cm long, 2cm wide and it was quite deep. Sometimes there was about 6 - 8 platurus crammed together, and sometimes there were none. I could never work out the cycle of their movements, it just seemed so random, but I know better then to think it was.. As for the Lyre, pity those bushes were in the way hey, it's hard to get a half decent pic of one..

Awesome photos Dave,geckos are magnificent in camouflaging,most the time it takes a slight movement from the gecko b4 you realise its there.

Great photo's mate, love the crickets to. King crickets are great pets with a few years of life in em if kept right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back