No tongues epilogue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglemad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I got little tangles my hatchling coastal to eat about ten minutes ago..i had to assist him and he got quite cranky and spat the brained watered pinky out but we persisted and he got it down and kept it down.
To everyone who posted advice I am very grateful.

junglemad

ps still haven't seen his tongue. When i opened his mouth he had a piece on the bottom of his mouth that looked a little like the hole an octopus breathes out of...but there wasn't a tongue there..i imagine that was the sheath his tongue should fit into???

here he is

the hole you would have seen would have been his windpipe (esophagus???).

And good stuff at getting a feed into him, lets hope he enjoyed it and will take on his own accord from now on.

Well done, lets cross our fingers for future feeds. :)

yep..i will try him in 7 days with a freshly dispatched and brained( love that word 'brained') pinky in his hide box

Good luck with future feeds and well done !! I, just the other night got my final Coastal feeder going after two months. I have given him four assist feeds on pink mice and then the other night he took a pinky voluntarily so I tried him on a fuzzy and he took another two in quick succession!! God, I wish I could read their minds :)

i have read on a few webpages etc that sometimes a larger prey item or a furrier one can be the answer...i was getting desperate so i have read so much stuff

Aw, no tongue? poor baby.

Congratulations on the successful feed, he's a sweety.
Is that hole the 'Jacobsens Organ'? Whatever it is, it's supposed to be there :)

Good on ya Junglemad.

Re: RE: No tongues epilogue

earthmother said:
Is that hole the 'Jacobsens Organ'? Whatever it is, it's supposed to be there :)

Good on ya Junglemad.

The Jacobsons organ is at the roof of the mouth EM. I think the hole JM is seeing at the bottom of the mouth is just the esophagus/windpipe.

Cheers, Alan.

no tongues

Hi all.
I just fed my little tongueless wonder for the third time.
The scale that was clouding over its eye has come of this slough. The shed was in one piece and hanging from a branch.
Assisted feeds seem to be the only way to go after leaving a live pinkie in the hide box overnight before last two assisted feeds. It is getting easier each time.
The snake is stronger and stronger every feed and very active now.
BUT STILL NO TONGUE FLICKING EVER!

Thanks to everyone who posted advice. Thanks especially to 'congo python' who sold me some mice and whose dad showed me how to assist feed. It is getting easier to do each time.

Hopefully the snake will eat on its own and in 10 years my son won't have to come over and open the snake's mouth while I push a wallaby into it.

Thanks again to all the helpful members and their freely given expert assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back