Not the nicest email I have received!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how exactly did you get this email?

One would presume it was via the internet on AA's computer... Gotta love the APS exotic animal detectives... leave no stone unturned...

Watch out Mr Hien... we're on your case lol! And stop turning those damned tortoises over - can't you photograph them from under a glass coffee table :)?

Jamie

not a stab at you AA but maybe removing the exotics in your advertisements section would help solve the problem , i know there listed as not available in australia but why are they even there when you dont deal with them

, and result in fish tanks and supplies that need to be thrown out because no matter how hard you scrub, the smell of eel sperm is there to stay.
my dad used to catch eels to send to asia for food big $$ in it at times but yes they bloody stink the other week i pulled out a big tub that had been packed away with the nets there(the eels) are kept in at times and the smell was only worse after about 8 years being packed away

Reptiles here years ago used to be sold by the foot.

I sell my fish by the cm (plecos), its how every pleco breeder I know works out the price for sub-adults.

One would presume it was via the internet on AA's computer... Gotta love the APS exotic animal detectives... leave no stone unturned...

Watch out Mr Hien... we're on your case lol! And stop turning those damned tortoises over - can't you photograph them from under a glass coffee table :)?

Jamie

This might be a job for ninja turtles.

From their website. Somehow I don't think the pet trade is their main purpose!
" Our annual export income of air-dried raw python skins and snake skins are over USD 5 million. Our main direct export markets are Europe, Japan, and Singapore. We have more then 20 year-old experience of Reptiles and have exported directly since 2004."

Now taking into consideration the actual cost of a 3 metre retic skin at around $10 thats a lot of dead snakes

Also considering that snake skins are not the mainstay of his business and you can begin to understand
how big the trade in reptiles has become

Now taking into consideration the actual cost of a 3 metre retic skin at around $10 thats a lot of dead snakes

Also considering that snake skins are not the mainstay of his business and you can begin to understand
how big the trade in reptiles has become

How could they farm Retics to a size of 3m just to make $10 of their skin, is their meat worth much?

They use everything including bones etc

But your sentence proves exactly why farming snakes is not financially viable
It is far far cheaper to use wild caught than it is to breed and grow snakes
Snakes eat meat and any form of meat in Asia costs money
So to grow a farmed retic to 3 metres will cost you 2 years plus $$$$ for food

Turtles are a different matter because they eat plants

Did we not all see - and sign - a petition on this site, a few days ago decrying this style of business as deplorable? I know I did.

Longqi, I think you'll find that the skin price is closer to $100.

Honestly, as much as I don't like the idea of selling reptiles for meat, the west really does have a nerve when it comes to these things. I am sure Hindus, for example, find us eating cows deplorable. Do they start petitions imposing their opinions on us. Are we going to stop eating cows anytime soon so as not to offend another countries citizens sensibilities. It is high time we stopped sticking our noses into other peoples cultures and affairs, however wrong they may seem, and fix whats wrong in our own back yards.

Live animal exports comes to mind...we know what happens but turn a blind eye for profit's sake.

Its easy for people in the first world to point fingers at the third world for trying to make money. If you hate drugs, and drug suppliers, go to Afghanistan. You'll never again feel the same about villagers growing weed or opium. Normal people just trying to feed themselves and their children.

Last edited:
Honestly, as much as I don't like the idea of selling reptiles for meat, the west really does have a nerve when it comes to these things. I am sure Hindus, for example, find us eating cows deplorable. Do they start petitions imposing their opinions on us. Are we going to stop eating cows anytime soon so as not to offend another countries citizens sensibilities. It is high time we stopped sticking our noses into other peoples cultures and affairs, however wrong they may seem, and fix whats wrong in our own back yards.

I see no problem with them being farmed, its the raping pillaging of wild populations that I have a huge issue with.
Reptiles have brains that are considered less advanced than mammals so if I am comfortable with farming and eating Bambi then I would be a hypocrite to judge people for doing the same with reptiles

People in this country still eat turtles. Big ones.
I'm sure that upsets some people but that's life and death.
Sometimes living in cities blinds people to what actually happens in the real world.

I see no problem with them being farmed, its the raping pillaging of wild populations that I have a huge issue with.
Reptiles have brains that are considered less advanced than mammals so if I am comfortable with farming and eating Bambi then I would be a hypocrite to judge people for doing the same with reptiles

Agreed, but there is plenty of raping and pillaging of our own wildlife to do something about before attacking people from other countries for their wrongs.

I agree 100% we all need to focus on our own backyard, if we don't who will?

Presumably after we take away the livelihoods of enough people in third world countries with our righteous indignation, they'll get bored with sitting around all day starving to death and take on our social/ecological/economical problems the way we did theirs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back