NSW licence question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icedmice

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have held a current basic mammal keepers licence and reptile keepers licence for about a year. My licence arrived sopping wet from the rain and half my pages stuck together. I did my best to seperate pages and record details of my animals anyway, which looked really dodgy but for legal reasons sake I kept it anyway. Purchased all my animals or bred them myself legit, nothing under the table.
I have recently updated data on the DECCW Electronic Record Keeping System, I've now found out my OH accidentally disposed of my paper licence because I'd left it on top of a couple old magazines.

Is it Ok to just have the electronic records?

Think it would be good to have a copy if the police or wildlife person of some kind came round asking questions, Where's your reptile license well you see when it arrived it was sopping wet then the pages were stuck together and then I accidently threw it out ..... Hmmm Ok Sounds sus from the start.

Unfortunately that's what happened, didn't happen in one afternoon, fact it was wet and shonky probably wasn't the issue but he may have thought it was one of my old TAFE assignments which I've been going through lately.

I do however have the details of the people I purchased animals from, lucky I kept a spare notebook. Might have to give the DECCW a ring and explain the situation, they'll have to send me out a new book.

I had a funny feeling people would think the worst, probably good to get your perspective though because I'm sure that's what any inspector would think too. I actually got it out recently for the purpose of transferring data onto the electronic record keeping facility, my fault, should have put it back in my folder with my rodent pedigrees. I have a terrible habbit of leaving things in random places.

If they came tomorrow I won't have it, only in electronic form. But when the new one is posted I'll just pop the details back in, no dramas.

It's not an especially flashy document, I bet I'm not the first.

Actually I think I was more peeved at paying money for a document that arrived in poor condition. It probably still would have been thrown out even if it was in perfect condition. I know they can't help the rain but felt like venting anyway :p . You could still write in it, I only needed the first page, I had paper towels seperating the rest, some of the pages were pretty badly damaged.

My question should have been...

Has anyone else ever experienced misplacement or loss of hardcopy licences?
While a wait for a new one to be posted will the electronic records suffice?

Last edited:
give deccw, think they are now the OEH (ofice of environment and heritage) an email and i'm sure they could resend some paperwork with your licence details, i'm sure if on the odd chance someone needs to see your licence in the next week or two you could log on and show you are licenced

Once you have switched to the online fauna book you no longer need the paper one and they stop sending them out to you.

Having recently applied for a NSW keepers license, the new paperwork states that you must keep up to date records on the NPWS e-book, OR in an animal keepers handbook (the paper version).
Geckoman's right, they no longer bother sending you a hard copy with the license.

OK sweet, I can breathe a sigh of relief :D . I'll ask for another hardcopy one sent out to be on the safe side. Probably quicker for them to montor who's got what anyway. WOW wonder what happens when people with big collections lost their licence in the past! Getting some of that info back would be a pain in the bum if you've had the animal for a long time.

Guess what! I FOUND IT :D . Chucked in the garage with a bunch of my old dog magazines :) . He must have chucked his Just Cars magazines away and not my random collection of animal mags.
Warped pages and all in perfectly original daggy condition, plus I now also have some pantry moth cocoons in the spine. So I am officially a licenced moth breeder now too :p. (Limited supply: Taking orders for 2012.)

Tell you what, it had me worried for a while. Gosh, it must be the worst feeling if you have a large collection of animals that require a licence and the licence was lost or misplaced. I only have plains rats and a woma.

Your license and your record book are two different things.As has already been written since you are doing your transactions online you do not need the book at all.You only need do one or the other.

Your right I ment the record book, it has all my licence details with original letters. Somehow I just feel more secure having the hard copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back