OK Guys and Gals...Another Coastal Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I put my Coastals together about a week ago hoping for some hufty McGufty but to no avail. I only left them together for arround 4 or 5 hours. This week I have put them together again and left them together for 3 days so far, Still no sign of L'amoure! Should I leave them together longer or seperate for a few days and reintroduce them?
Any advice gratefully received but good advice preferred :)

Stop Perving on the lovers! lol seriously but, maybe the smell of another male in there would encourage romeo to do his stuff, if you only have the one male perhaps you could borrow one? from what i remember reading a second male is generally involved, but i could be wrong. maybe try putting the female in his cage instead??? :D

Hi Afro

how old are those guys. I didn't realise you had breeding stock. Is there any interaction between the two of them or are they keeping themselves to themselves.

G 8)

hey graham, took your tip re: full monty, take a look in vid gallery, :D lol

:)

Now ya talking! That is WAY cool! Very well done, and loved the background music. :lol:

At least I can enjoy the experience vicariously! :cry:

LOl , NOT box office stuff but . didnt come out aswell as i hoped. :D

Wattso

I'll have to wait til I get to work - my 28k line will take weeks to download that. I look forward to it though.

G

:shock: 28k??? dinosaur lol u poor bugger no wonder you dont get on much lmao :D

coastal q 2

hi phil..

when we pair animals we dont remove the male for at leats 8 10 days and then its only if we feel he needs a rest.
by pairing for a few hours your not really giving the male time to stimulate the female.
sometime they will do the wild thing straight away but most of the time it takes a number of days before the female becomes stimulated enough to start scenting this is the key factor for the males responce.

another thing about pairing/splitting/reparing all the time is that if done at the wrong time you may have the female ovulate at a time that you arent ready. eg male stimulates but dosent mate then is removed..while away the female scents then ovulates the poor guy misses out.

just because you havent seen them dosent mean its not happening either as some animals prefer the cover of darkness to go about there activitys.
you could get up a differant times of the night over a few night to try and see but if you disturb them you maynot get the desired results either. A good copulation will take place over several hours so may start early in the morning and will still be happening when you get out of bed and most will be happy to let you watch then but if you disturb when they are in the early stages of getting that copling happening it may put them off.
another thing coastals tend to be later in the breeding season so be patient as pairing them now may not produce instant responces but left together the interest may start in a few weeks maybe later. Even with idervidual animals of the same species they dont all come into season at the same time.
just some thoughts.
cheers paul.

Yeah i agree with paul, you have to leave them together for a decent length of time, i find most of my pythons prefer to mate early in the morning when the cage is at it coldest and they will continue to mate right through the day and sometimes for more than 24hrs.
I've had pythons lay eggs that i didn't see mate the entire season.

I have just got home from work and found a pair of my diamonds mating.They are normally curled up together so I didn't think anything of it until I saw his little spur tickling away. That's the first time I have ever seen that...I guess it is easier to spot with diamonds.
As for advice...I think Paul has done a fine job already.

Thanks guys and especially to you Paul, no detraction from anyone else when I say this.
Several hours for a good copulation? Thats not good thats bloody great :) As for missing the ovulation maybe thats what I'm doing with the missus :)
Seriously though, Thanks heaps guys.
One more question , should I continue to raise the temperature in their enclosure or leave it at the level at which I introduced them?

woo hoo, good on ya afric, youve asked the question ive been busting for an answer to :)

i put mine together yesterday, not much happening scept males spurs going a twiggly :S but after readin this thread i shall leave em together for the 8-10 days as paul suggests

coastal q 2

hi guys...
the 8 to 10 day should be a minimum. with our coastals they are paired and left together untill we either notice that the female is ovulating or she seems gravid.
im not a fan of removing the male at all in the early stages and if we feel the males not quite firing we either introduce another ( if we have one ) or we beg,borrow or steal a shed skin off another MALE . this skin must be off a adult but not really the same species in carpets.. we have used adult coastal skins to spark jungle males and vise versa
all so know keepers that use other species males..but this has to be done under supervision to make sure the species dont get the chance to x breed. we feel that the skin does the job needed and you can just hang it in the enclosure for a few hours and not have to worrie about other problems arrising.

cheers paul.

Ages, I am relying on the vendors info with the male being approx 3.5 yrs and the female 4years. The respective sizes, male a tad under 8 foot and the female a tad under 7.

Afric,
I have tended to find with Coastals that the older they are the better when it comes to breeding, they certainly should breed for you, although mine never bred until they were 5yr(male) and 6yr(fem) both around 8ft.
I would be surprised if you don't breed them this year, but if you don't , then next year for sure.

Nearly 8ft in 3.5yrs that sounds a bit much, for a carpet to reach that sort of size so quick it must have been getting power feed to the max.
Carpets of that size would definately be able to breed no doubt at all.

My male cc, i'm told was a juvenile when the last owner got him on 5/2001 . when I got him he was 8.5 ft or there about and that was 6 mths ago. he is now a tad under 9 ft. I'm guessing a tendency to overfeed is common ? he weighed 4.5kg last months vet visit. in the same book last owner says he weighed 3kl as of 6/2001~ dosent add up . any way to accuratly gauge age with dodgy records? i'm thinking hes closer to 4 yrs ? last weigh in befor i got him was sep 2002 at 3.24kl,
is this increase in weight over this time good or bad? p.s. ill be keeping good acurate records when i get my next hatchy.

Try putting a fresh shed of another male in there with carpets NEVER introduce another male i know of a person who had a "pair" that was actually 2 male scrubs one is now dead from trying to breed em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back