Olive python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanjbkorbett

Reaction score
Hey guys,well i have never had this problem with any of the juvenile pythons/snakes i have had/bought..suppose there has to be a first time for everything..well i bought my first olive tuesday 2/3/10,he is a month old,i put him into a large click clack soon as i got him( as he was already being housed in a click clack)..now on the record sheet i got,it said he has eaten 2 small quails and a thawed fuzzy..the thawed fuzzy being his last meal,wich he ate 2 days befor purchase..now i treid feeding him a hopper mouse yesterday and today..and he is not interested....i even whent out yesterday and bought qauils to scent the hoppers..so treid that today and yesterday..but still no,gets more intimidated by the food than interested.(he shows a little interest at first,then try's to get away from it).now iam worried,nevah delt with baby snakes that dont eat.. but i know alot of juvenile snakes sumtimes refuse food for a while...but the record sheet says he was eating fine,..should i just give it a week?? his nature is calm and he is eazy to get out and handle,doesnt seemed stress at all..so again iam left worried...or should i just be patient n chill out.

Try another food type, see what happens? I've got a pretty fussy Diamond that will eat mice one day, then "runs away" from them the next, rabbits for two feeds, then wont touch them either, back to mice blah blah... fussy little bugger!

just be patient mate, a week is nothing as you probably know...I got a big male 2 weeks ago, and he is yet to eat, he hadn't eaten for a week before I got him aswell.. though it is a bit different when it is only a hatchie like yours, maybe give it a week and contact the breeder

Try another food type, see what happens? I've got a pretty fussy Diamond that will eat mice one day, then "runs away" from them the next, rabbits for two feeds, then wont touch them either, back to mice blah blah... fussy little bugger!

hey!.cheers for the reply....,but what other food type would there be for a month old olive besides small rodents and qauils ??

G'day Sean,

You've had it three days - let it relax from the move. Sometimes Olives can be fussy buggers as hatchlings/juveniles, but once they get going they will chase you round the snake room for food.

Leave him in his click-clack for a week with decent heat and hide spots, leave him alone, resist the urge to check to see if it's OK. Then stick some food in and leave it over night...if it's warm enough and the snake isn't shedding, chances are the food will be gone in the morning.

Dont be to concerned. If he only ate 2 days before you got him I'd give him a week to settle in and if still no go maybe contact the breeder and ask some advice, also has it come from a rather quiet situation to a high traffic area of your house etc.

G'day Sean,

You've had it three days - let it relax from the move. Sometimes Olives can be fussy buggers as hatchlings/juveniles, but once they get going they will chase you round the snake room for food.

Leave him in his click-clack for a week with decent heat and hide spots, leave him alone, resist the urge to check to see if it's OK. Then stick some food in and leave it over night...if it's warm enough and the snake isn't shedding, chances are the food will be gone in the morning.

The pick of the responses for me..... at least two different hides & leave it alone for a solid week..... don't even handle it.... at least then you will be able to eliminate stress from reasons why it won't eat etc......... it has been a bit cooler this week in Brizzy remember also especially for a Northern specimen............

The pick of the responses for me..... at least two different hides & leave it alone for a solid week..... don't even handle it.... at least then you will be able to eliminate stress from reasons why it won't eat etc......... it has been a bit cooler this week in Brizzy remember also especially for a Northern specimen............
/signed..the best advice:D

definetely take some of these guys advice. although in all honesty i offer food the next day after i purchase an animal, but dont stress if they dont eat.

young olives can be fiddly bloody feeders when young. if u have no luck in the next 2 weeks, try finch. they usually cant turn them up.
cheers
mel

Agree totally.. They can be real fussy eaters....

I got two Olive Hatchies Last Season, One of which was a real Ba###rd to feed..... He used to get intimidated, and try and hide... I ended up having to assist feed him occasionally to keep something in his stomach... Only in the last few months does he take a regular weekly fuzzy/hopper...

The other of the two, was a dream... She is over twice his size, and has never refused a feed....

When you bought it, did you speak with the Breeder, about how to feed him/her... Whether he was eating live or frozen/thawed?? I know of some breeders that feed live to get them feeding, but for the new buyer, it can be a real pain to do the changeover to thawed....

Hope it all goes well...... :)

Yer give it time, my female diamond still to this day doesnt always wanna eat, and if she does will take her time, she is the only snake i just leave the rat in as i dont always have 30mins to stand there till she decides its time to grab it, as for just getting it sometimes it will take 1-2 weeks to become familiar with its new enclosure, and during this time will not eat

yer same one of my diamonds.one week she will strike np..the next week "oh leave it please i shall eat when i am ready".:rolleyes:..sigh..typical female..:shock: uh did i say that out loud?!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back