Olive question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyd

Reaction score
Hey

Ive had my olive python hatchies for a week or so, both have eaten one small mouse each - Im working on a once every 7day feeding program - and im going to increase to 2 small mouse each, each week for awhile, then get them onto rats, or should i try and get them onto rats as soon as i can? or keep them on mice for a bit?

cheers

jim

Is there a reason you didn't just start them on rats?

RATS RATS RATS,

Olives seem to prefer mice or chicks they are a little harder to get over to rats in my experience.

Jimmyd,
Good to hear your another Olive owner.
There is no need to rush to get them on to rats, but I do recommend it.
As little fellas its just good to have them eating, so make sure they are eating mice eagerly before you give them a new challenge. I feed mine on rats and after seeing it on a thread here I have one eating chicken necks.
Snkmst: mine love little chicks (but now they just eat so many) there's not much to a little chick.

Jimmy, Olives have super growth. They'll grow fast even on limited amounts of food. You can continue feeding them on mice for a while if you like, but to get the most out of your Olive it would be good to get them taking rats ASAP. They have great appetites and really inhale their meals. Digestion is pretty quick with Olives too!!

Definately get them onto rats, you'll be feeding them 10mice at a sitting before you know it.

thanks guys, I'll get them onto rats over the next few weeks -

cheers

jim from bris

I would worry as long as they are eating , as said above they really inhale thier food, I found they can be stubbourn when changeing from mice to rats, but yeah get them on rats as soon as you can.

serpenttongue said:
Jimmy, Olives have super growth. They'll grow fast even on limited amounts of food. You can continue feeding them on mice for a while if you like, but to get the most out of your Olive it would be good to get them taking rats ASAP. They have great appetites and really inhale their meals. Digestion is pretty quick with Olives too!!

feeling lazy so ditto to the above

I agree with all what serpenttongue said.
I started my olives on finches, Changed them straight on rats after 2 feeds and they eat adult rabbits now. Thanks for rabbits, I don't know what I would feed otherwise.
12 kg olive is hard to satisfy with adult rat. I would have to feed 7 of them.
You should be fine with rats for aproximately 2 years.

Yeah, Slatey, I know what you mean. I've run out of rabbits and now have to feed him two or three jumbop rats at a time! :-( Thinking of trying him on a whole chicken, as he seems to enjoy the odd chicken leg. Anyone know where you can buy chooks (ungutted) in Sydney inner west?

David you can buy rabbits and chicken on flemington markets Rabbit is $ 10 and chick about $ 3 the right size for you.

well guys, my olive hatchlings have now eaten one fuzzy rat each, took awhile for one of them to take it, but they both did - now its time to sit back and watch them grow.!!!

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back