Olive surgery pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivehydra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing flash cos this is all I got so far from the vet, but for those interested.... The funny shape xray is what she swallowed and the theatre shot is her getting prep by nurse

Kingii said:
What did she swallow?

Did they cut her open?

Sorry Kingii, I should have been more clear. This thread is a follow up to one a few days ago. I had a feeding accident in which I noticed (too late) that my feeding tongs had removable end bits which she ripped off during an excited feed. We were unable to regurge and so we had to cut her open.
See "product warning" thread.

Cheers.

WOW Dorian she's a big snake lol :D. Nice pics...how's she doing today?

I remember the thread now..

What bad luck hey!

Was she a breeder? Does she have a mega scar?

OuZo said:
WOW Dorian she's a big snake lol :D. Nice pics...how's she doing today?

See what I mean about the no food probably doing her good? :wink: She only gets one med rat every 6 to 10 weeks anyway. She is going great and was even looking for a feed last night. Still hasnt regurged the rat even after stomach surgery, which the vet said she probably would. Dont get between her and food :wink:

Kingii said:
I remember the thread now..

What bad luck hey!

Was she a breeder? Does she have a mega scar?

I will put my male across her next season and as for scar, I got off lightly with a small 5cm incision.

Marty, she is 2.6m snout to vent and just on 14kg (6 years) Here is a better pic which most have probably seen already

See what I mean about the no food probably doing her good?

Well actually I just had another squiz at that stomach area and it does look a little like she's eaten oh I dunno...a deer? :lol: ;). Lol j/k but I'd hate to pick that girly up! Was at Morelia-Hunter's place a few months back and he threw his big olive on me lol...almost collapsed with the weight :lol:. I woulda thought they'd have removed the rat...especially cos her stomach has stitches in it? Is there any risk with it still in there?

OuZo said:
See what I mean about the no food probably doing her good?

Well actually I just had another squiz at that stomach area and it does look a little like she's eaten oh I dunno...a deer? :lol: ;). Lol j/k but I'd hate to pick that girly up! Was at Morelia-Hunter's place a few months back and he threw his big olive on me lol...almost collapsed with the weight :lol:. I woulda thought they'd have removed the rat...especially cos her stomach has stitches in it? Is there any risk with it still in there?

The rat was left to reduce the risk of infection cos it had already turned to a soupy mess. Vet also thought that if she retained it, the nutritional value would help in recovery. Also it would have added time to the procedure which he was trying to keep to a minimum.
As Cartman (sth. park) would say, shes not fat but big boned god dammit! :wink:

Ahhhhhh I guess if it's a soupy mess it's probably not gonna put too much pressure on the stitches :D. Makes sense about the nutritional value for recovery too!

Nice looking olive there! Looks a like a gental giant.

How do the anesthetise (sp) snakes? Do they put a little gas mask over their snout?

Yes Linus she is very gentle, my fav snake by a mile :wink: Gaseous anaesthetic was used but I also got a jugular canular put in feeding ketamine, (special "K" for you party people :wink: )

Oh yes, I'm interested in the answer to that too!

Do you mean that YOU received the ketamine, Olivehydra? That nervous about the surgery, were you? Why did you opt for a jugular canular instead of a tablet? Tablet would've gone down much easier! :wink:

Cool and intresting pics Olivehydra. It is indeed a "Big boned" snakey :) Glad to hear all has gone well. Congrats! Best wishes Inny :)

wow, that's a very big nice looking Olive! Wish i had a gentle giant like that :)

Was there any reason it was not retrieved via endoscope? (not questioning what was done but wondering if it was not done for a particular reason)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back