orange medic and top of descent use

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hello all

my dogs have recently picked up some ticks and they have made it into my outdoor pit with my bluetongues. i would take them of by hand but most of them are small and are deep between the scales. ive been talking to afew people and it seems that orange medic would do the job. im curious, how does this work? does it have to be diluted in water? do you just put it in a spray bottle and spray around the cage and on the animal? also, after it is sprayed on the animal, should it be washed of?

also ive gotten my hands on some top of descent so im gonna spray that around to make sure i dont have any parasites hanging around with my herps. do you just spray on the reptile adn was it of after afew minutes?

Tom

When my blue tongues had mites a while ago, I just mixed orange medic with some warm water (1:1). I put it in a bowl, then wiped them down with a cloth that had been soaked in the medic.
Use a cotton bud or some cotton wool around their faces to ensure you don't get any into their eyes, nostrils and mouth.

I use a spray bottle in the reptile pit every few weeks/months (whenever I get around to doing it) just as a precaution.
If you use a spray bottle with your reptiles, make sure you don't miss anything (particularly behind their legs).

Then repeat everything around a week later.

I've never used TOD, so I won't comment on that.

In my opinion 1:1 ratio is far to strong. I would use 10:1 or less.
I would also not spray it onto an animal as you cannot control where it goes.
If you do treat them then return them to the pit they will get them again. You need to also treat there environment.

And as TOD is designed primarily for treating aircraft cabins, the only effective use it has in the herp world id say is in enclosures where it can fog/linger, in an outdoor setting it would be useless.

I use a product called permoxin which is actually for dog and horses but works well for treatment of mites and ticks on reptiles and their enclosures.You mix it in a spray bottle 10 ml to 400 ml of water.Spray it on your reptiles and it kills mites and ticks on contact,i prefer to rinse it off after treatment other people i know leave it on their animals.It's great stuff for treating cages also.This product was recomended by my local vet Clayton Knights who is a reputable herp vet.I have been using it for years now with no ill effects to my herps,i used to use the 2 products mentioned above but have found this one more effective,as the mites never come back,the only time i need to use it now is when i recieve new herps.

To get the ticks of the blueys you can tab some alcohol, turps or metho onto the ticks and give them an hour to release their grip on then pull them off. Top of descent is excellent but wont work well outdoors.

Hi all, could we use Orange Medic on our rodents for the red mites(itchy little buggas). Our internal Ivermec doesn't seem to be doing the job unless we do it exactly 6 weeks apart. The mob that make TOD won't answer us re some bulk spray(rather than the spray packs). Grrrr!!! Spray cans are way too exp. for us. We need heaps(bulk) if we want to keep the red mites down. We still can't work out where the red mites(chiggers) come from? In the wood shavings? Flies??? Its just a constant battle for us. We know that freezing our rodents kills the mites, but the mites bugga up the breeding. Anyone got some answers for us please. The mob that make TOD is Callington.

ticks

hey there tom,

i put up a post on the ticks and mites topic a while back, and got some very helpful ideas and suggestions on what to do.
no idea how to put in a link but if you go to the forum and search the word tick in the australian snakes section, i posted it on jun 15 this year.
hope this is of help anyway mate,
paddy

RE: ticks

We still can't work out where the red mites(chiggers) come from? In the wood shavings? Flies???

we breed quite a lot of mice and rats and found that the mite came in the wood shavings, we are now trying other bedding, but all are more costly then shavings, but after spending heaps on lice and mite treatments, we have decided it's better to pay a bit extra than worry about the mite all the time,

cheers,
steve.......

Ive used shreded paper for bedding and it got smell very quickly,i don know what wood shaving you guys use but i use the hysorbe brand and have never had any mites.

so do i just put it on it and leave it, or after afew minutes was it off?

The 1:1 ratio has never affected my lizards at all. I do admit it is a bit strong, but I like to make sure they're well and truly dead.

I'd never use a solution that strong on snakes or any sensitive lizards though.

Edit:
so do i just put it on it and leave it, or after afew minutes was it off?

I leave it on..

swampie, we find that the wood shavings from the local timber/building supplies mob is the best bedding. Also the cheapest. We really cannot afford to buy any other sort of bedding. We have lots and lots of breeding boxes of rats n mice. We are just little battlers out here trying to help you reptile folks out eh? 'cheers

Well, there you go RodentRancher. Permoxin is basically the same as TOD. It has the same active ingredient. permethrin, a third generation synthetic pyrethroid.
Also. Putting things like turps, metho, kero ect on ticks is a waste of time. It agitates them.
Has anyone tried Coopex?

teamsherman, we have rung Callington(the TOD mob), and they have not got back to us at all? Maybe we should look into the other stuff eh??? ?Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back