Oscars

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've just been given a six foot tank complete with reef filter setup and 2 oscars, along with assorted other fish and 2 4 foot tanks. Oops, enough gloating, anyway, i have never had oscars before, so any tips on their care would be appreciated. Funny thing is, my sister has just been given a 4 foot tank with an oscar too!
So, basically the omnly thing i know about them is that they live to be about 10, and these ones are 6, so only 4 years until i can put reps in the tank :)

they are a tropical fish, liking the water to be about 27 degrees.
they will eat pellets, bits of frozen fish and feeder fish.

Would mealworms be an ok treat?

hey! we have an oscar too!!! they're awesome fish...ours is called neville. he's only a baby still but he's doubled in size since we got him!! he's been easy as to look after...feed him twice a day...change the water every couple of weeks, had no probs! i'm no expert tho :)

i am very jealous u got given all those tanks!!! lol we need to upgrade nevilles tank cos he's just in our old goldfish tank. its pretty big but hes starting to outgrow it but hopefully a friend of ours is gonna sell us his old turtle tank :D:D:D how big are ur oscars?? they must be pretty huge if they're 6! pics would be cool;) i'll try put some of neville on here..just gotta work out how to use me new camera!!
lucy

I'll post pics when i get them, hopefully in the next week or so, my friend is moving to perth and said that he wanted me to have them because they are his babies and he knows i'll look after them. Now i just hope i don't kill them lol. Yep, they are huge, he thinks not quite fully grown because they also have some big 'pleckies' in with them/ I have no idea what they are, i think some sort of catfish

i know that they eat crickets that as a treat, but because of the chitin i probably wouldnt feed mealies.
but because they are adults, maybe if you have no other food for them, you could offer one as a treat.

These guys eat everything. Had a mate who fed his AHGs on a regular basis. They are real vacuum cleaners. If you hold something above the water they'll jump up and take it right out of your fingers.

EDIT: wish people gave me tanks for free..

They become very tame, and will eat out of your hand.

They are generally non-aggressive to large tank mates.

Have fun, they are one of the best fish.

They love ox heart and also prefer brackish water be careful putting large rocks etc in the tank as they will move them.
Mine used to ring a bell for food string in water bell on outside very smart fish

Brackish water, Never heard of that and i've bred the guys.

I wouldn't do that.

As they tend to like a neutral to slightly acidic water.

I would like to find where you would find acidic brackish water.

They're awesome, definately one of the best of all aquarium fish. They love woodies and mealworms, and they're not going to cause the fish any trouble. Whole, live invertebrates are ideal food, they're quite natural. Processed fish food is okay. I could never understand why fish people used to use ox heart so enthusiastically. It's no better than any other cut of meat, I suppose it's just a bit cheaper. Mammal flesh isn't a natural food and isn't a good staple for them, but it's good for a treat. Mice are good too... I can't recommend it, but I've known a few people who fed theirs live mice. I used to catch Gambusia (small noxious fish), which they'd eat, although they had a bit of trouble catching them. I used to feed mine all sorts of things, including a lot of dog food. If I was keeping them now I'd give them mainly fish (preferably small, whole fish), woodies and mice (dead), as well as whatever else I felt like once in a while.

I've never heard of them liking brackish water, and I would be cautious about trying it.

I tried to train mine to ring a bell for food. When I went near the tank they'd swim up wanting food, knocking the bell around, but they'd have been madly swimming in that area anyway :p Looking back at it now, I didn't do a very good job of teaching them :p

My uncle had two Oscars in a huge tank ... one was slightly larger than the other, and one day my uncle came home to find that the larger Oscar had made a meal of his smaller tankmate :lol: This fish was nuts, he used to tap on the aquarium pump when he wanted his dinner :shock:

I agree about the brackish water, there are two or three cichlids that do like brackish water.

But they are the Asian Cichlids the Chromides.

Which are rarely seen if ever in australia.

They live in the same habitat as discus, so I can't see how the brakcish thing comes into it.

Brackish water, Never heard of that and i've bred the guys.

I wouldn't do that.

As they tend to like a neutral to slightly acidic water.

I would like to find where you would find acidic brackish water.

Most cichlids are found in brackish(slightly acid) water or estuaries perhaps things have changed scince I kept and bred them long time ago (1980) was a back drop filter tank dont even make them now .

The Oscar likes his water wet. Other than that, they aren’t the fussiest of fish. Their natural environment is the soft acid waters of South American rivers, but they tolerate just about any water conditions well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back