our bird escaped !!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so we got a pair of indian ringnecks a wee while ago and all was going well, they went from being wild biting machines/border line snake food lol to half friendly little fellows. BUT yesterday afternoon while hubby was adding fresh fruit and veg to their cage the yellow one shot out the door faster than lightening!

OMG we were so bummed he had a clipped wing but man could he fly! he went straight up top of a huge gumtree in our backyard. We spent the afternoon thinking of ways to scare him back lol we used ladders, seeds, and whistled bird calls too.....nothing worked so we gave up when the sun went down. We put our other bird in a small cage for the night and left the aviary door open incase it returned.

Through the night I tossed and turned bloody dreamt about it even waking a couple of times to gaze at the cage incase he had come home for food but no he did not :( we all accepted he was long gone and said goodbye.

THEN at lunch time today the little girl next door came to the fence and said 'excuse me have you lost a yellow bird?' lol we were like umm YES! apparently it was on their window sill hiding from wild birds that were trying to attack it so her and her big brother grabbed it and the rest is history! lol they passed him over the fence we put him back in the cage and we all just shook our heads and laughed :lol:

It was sooooooo hungry after its little adventure and did nothing but eat and sleep all afternoon lol i guess it was exhausted and glad to be home.

Last edited:
Lucky! You must be relieved :) bet he wont do that again in a hurry

So are you going to do a split clip this time so no more unscheduled flights ????...............Ron

So are you going to do a split clip this time so no more unscheduled flights ????...............Ron

Fully flighted birds make you take more care and have many benefits for the bird :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We don't really know what to do Ron, I guess more research on Wing clipping is our 1st step. I was sooooo paranoid while topping their seed up the sarvo lol hubby got a bit too relaxed as they normally just sit back n relax on the perches when we go in to do stuff. Won't be risking another escaping episode though that's for sure. :):)

We don't really know what to do Ron, I guess more research on Wing clipping is our 1st step. I was sooooo paranoid while topping their seed up the sarvo lol hubby got a bit too relaxed as they normally just sit back n relax on the perches when we go in to do stuff. Won't be risking another escaping episode though that's for sure. :):)

We don't clip any of our 13 tame pet birds (from budgie to macaw) pm me if you'd like any friendly advice :) Complacency is one of the biggest risks with clipped birds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My ringneck got out 3 months ago normally comes when called in the house but stayed in a tree for a few hours until it was offered almonds

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

I only trim the gliders on my ringneck, never the main flight feathers. Even then I only do it every so often. I don't keep him in a cage either. Don't even own one.

If you have your birds in an aviary please please DO NOT clip their wings; living in Brisbane and working with birds in my job I know how hot it can get and if they cannot fly properly from perch to perch or floor to top they won't be able to reach food / water / shade and will be at greater risk of predation.

Birds that live inside are a different kettle of fish although there are many people that keep fully flighted birds successfully - the birds are much healthier for it as flying is great exercise for them.

I am really pleased for you that you managed to retrieve your errant little avian. Sounds to me like it would be well worth your while to take up the offer from Stevo2.

One technique for trapping escapees is to cage another bird to act as a caller and entice the bird down. Very lightly scatter some of its favourite food(s) about leading to a plentiful supply inside the aviary. Using fishing line tied to the centre of the door and threaded through the wire of the aviary, the door can be pulled shut once the parrot is well inside. Just test the fishing line first to ensure it does the trick the way you have set it up. This removes visible humans and you can be some distance away in closing the door. You used to be able to buy commercial traps that worked on using a caller. Don’t know if they are still available though.

I would strongly suggest that you add a safety door (aka double door) to your aviary. I know they are not mandatory for Ringnecks but they are recommended. Safety doors really should be part of every bird aviary. Have the outer door opening outwards so you can get seed bins and branches and whatever else in and out without the door in the way. A simple slide bolt inside and your inmates will remain inmates whenever you enter or leave the aviary.

Blue

Thanks guys :) well after reading all these replies and having a good ol google lol we have decided we wont be clipping their wings however we will be being extremely careful! Hubby wants to extend their cage to give them more flight room so would make sense to keep the wings as they are. Even as it is now they often flutter from top to bottom and they love it when we mist their cage fluttering about like their in the rainforest lol.

Our pet Galah does this every few weeks. He is a regular Houdini, metal rings, cable-ties and snap locks... He always finds a way out of his cage. Vanishes for a day until we go walking through the bush at the bottom of our paddock and hear him wheeze out "Hello gorgeous...", he climbs onto our arm in relief, snuggles into his nesting box to recover. Yet in a few weeks time, he's out again!

Being "extremely careful" won't prevent this from happening again. Unless you put in a double safety door system, it will happen again, and the bird may not be so lucky next time, if the magpies, butcher birds or ravens get to it first.

There is also the matter of an exotic bird with some degree of pest potential escaping into the wild to consider. Ringnecks have established feral populations in some parts of the world, I'm sure you wouldn't want that happening here.

Jamie

Being "extremely careful" won't prevent this from happening again. Unless you put in a double safety door system, it will happen again, and the bird may not be so lucky next time, if the magpies, butcher birds or ravens get to it first.

There is also the matter of an exotic bird with some degree of pest potential escaping into the wild to consider. Ringnecks have established feral populations in some parts of the world, I'm sure you wouldn't want that happening here.

Jamie

definantly will talk to hubby about the double saftey door, thanks for the advice. At the moment its a 2-3 person job to let one person enter and we have to be quick! if someone pokes a treat through the wire at the far end it allows a couple of seconds for someone to open the door while someone else enters then quickly shut it again behind them lol bit of a mission but for now it will have to do.

Yep, been there & done that in the past - had a pair of blue & gold macaws escape 3 times because I was too slack to fix the door situation! (Got them back after a couple of days each time though!) Believe me it will save you heaps of stress if you can do the safety door asap, especially for fast fliers like ringnecks!

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back