Outdoor enclosure/pit questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't.
I've never ever seen any cats in my backyard because of my 3, bird and cat hating dogs : )
Plus having a mesh lid would require that extra effort of removing and placing it back on twice everyday during my maintenance, viewing and handling sessions.

Substrate is about 15cm deep.
I wouldn't know as it is my first outdoor enclosure. Probably not tho, because they don't get stuck under the rocks in my indoor tank enclosure.

I wouldn't.
I've never ever seen any cats in my backyard because of my 3, bird and cat hating dogs : )
Plus having a mesh lid would require that extra effort of removing and placing it back on twice everyday during my maintenance, viewing and handling sessions.

living in mt druitt id be more worried about my neighbours than cats lol

I am very lucky to have such lovely neighbours or neighbourhood for that matter. My actual suburb is not Mt. Druitt. I am about 5 minutes away. Altho for those who might be brave to jump my fence, go ahead, just don't expect your leg back : )

If my Snakes ever end up outside, I always planned on using an old Aviary/Bird Cage.

For Liizards, I'd probably use some off cuts of old Tank(s). But I'd be worried about them escaping (or being attacked/killed) if there was nothing covering the top.

Last edited:
As long as you know your environment well, then you can plan your enclosure around it.
I'm quite lucky that I don't need a mesh lid for my enclosure.
That said, I'm keeping a close eye and if the need arise then I will act accordingly.

CLose and no lid! but us mt druitt bro's gota stick together haha

Hahaha Thanks mate.
Hard to go past the clear roof sheets for $20 a pop (1.8 metres)
Pull up a chair, cold beverage and watch the Dragons from a distance for hours.

My mate and I decided to just work with stock sizes that Bunnings had.
Roof sheets stock sizes was 1.8 metres.
So therefore, we built a frame that would accommodate 1.8 by 1.8 metre roof sheets.
I hope that helps.

My mate and I decided to just work with stock sizes that Bunnings had.
Roof sheets stock sizes was 1.8 metres.
So therefore, we built a frame that would accommodate 1.8 by 1.8 metre roof sheets.
I hope that helps.
how much was the roofing

Thats kind of perfect.. was it hard to put together? Im wanting to build something similar.. is there a cover over it ?

hi mate, check out the mesh ute-trailer covers that will keep birds/ cats out, ive seen them at super cheap auto,
thats if you want it to be open air, no good for bad weather.

Thats kind of perfect.. was it hard to put together? Im wanting to build something similar.. is there a cover over it ?

Yes, it takes a little bit of a 'know how' to put this together.
I'm a lousy handyman, but I'm lucky my mate helped me buy materials and put this together.
No cover over it.
My environment allows me to have an open style enclosure.

Hope that helps

Slowly getting there.
I'd like to put a few grass type of plants for shade and for looks.
Maybe a couple of lemongrass and bigger water source.

525170_10151773830191729_1883006385_n.jpg

6549_10151773830316729_986794788_n.jpg

69689_10151773830361729_1996550680_n.jpg

295674_10151773830726729_848640432_n.jpg

421484_10151773830781729_170450621_n.jpg

looks awesome! very helpfull. curious to where you got such a large amount of coir peat from!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back