Overseas macaw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha Exotic_Doc that is awesome. What are African greys like in terms of noise? I used to help babysit an African grey and a gang gang when the owner went away. The grey was always completely silent and calm while the gang gang would scream every time I went too close, and yell "nut", which is the only time he would let me come close lol. He taught himself to say waggle-waggle which no one had ever said to him before. I would love an eclectus but I know someone who has one and I know I don't have as much time and energy to spend on it as she does. It really is like having a young child!

I have an 8 month old sun conure. He is still abnormally quiet and the only time he EVER makes noise is for about 4 screeches after I put him down and leave the room, or about 4 screeches if I walk in and then out of his site. He doesn't continue on though. If he can see me he never makes a loud noise even if he is in his cage or looking at me through the door in another room. Even if I am not home, or out of sight, he never makes noise.

He lived in my bedroom for a few months and he is freakishly silent no matter how late I sleep, until he sees me move. He then does a little quiet mumble and some kissing noises to see if I am awake or not. I think I lucked out in the sun conure department although I was prepared for the screeching when I got him so it won't change anything if it kicks in ('cept my neighbours sanity lol).

Hey Ingie, i would say if you dont have enough time for an eclectus then you def wouldnt have time for an african grey. They are actually the most intelligent parrot on earth, with the brain developement of a 5 yr old toddler :) You gotta be very careful in raising them as they can be crazzzy sometimes and develop bad habits such as biting ( and damn that beak is sharp lol)

Exotic Doc.....im glad u can see the funny side to it......my partner sure doesnt! ;) The poor man cant walk in the gates without Rylee screaming at him......& if he stops to say hello, or just take a peek.......thats it, mental bird if ever i seen one! Rylee only comes out of the cage now when 'hubby' isnt home, if Rylee is out when he gets home......he goes screeching back to his cage & sulks.......he REALLY hates him! He is so funny! & talks.......he is saying heaps now, from 'hello', 'ur welcome', 'love u', 'thank u'.........to 'go away'! Im trying to avoid the 'naughty' words! :lol:

[video=youtube;R6KvPN_Wt8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6KvPN_Wt8I[/video]
[video=youtube;eawfoMHyUHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eawfoMHyUHQ&feature=related[/video]

im getting a hahn in a few days time , im not game getting a blue and gold especially when you live in suburbia i think they would just be too noisey and too much work , i have an ecky and an amazon and i have to say if i had to choose between the two id go an amazon as they know how to entertain themselves and can keep themselves busy for hours playing withher toys,where as my ecky shows no interest in toys and since turning 6 has become very hormonal and has started to pluck, he is still very sweet but needs a lot of attention.

D3pro, ive watched that video like 50 times lool. That is one amazing grey !!!

im getting a hahn in a few days time , im not game getting a blue and gold especially when you live in suburbia i think they would just be too noisey and too much work , i have an ecky and an amazon and i have to say if i had to choose between the two id go an amazon as they know how to entertain themselves and can keep themselves busy for hours playing withher toys,where as my ecky shows no interest in toys and since turning 6 has become very hormonal and has started to pluck, he is still very sweet but needs a lot of attention.

Ahh Sarah living the parrot dream !! I want a blue fronted soo badddd lool

Last edited:
They're great videos, the only downside is that a lot of people get a grey after they've seen it and are disappointed when theirs isn't doing the same thing in a couple of years, if I remember correctly Einstein was 14yo when he was on animal planet, he's with his owner almost 24/7 with almost constant input. Not something most of us can do, As for the the other bird, I feel a little sorry for him, it looks like he (she) is plucking a little, the trainer states that he understands her questions and works out the right answer, yet when he asks to "go back" to his cage she won't let him. I really hope that he gets some fun playtime rather than stuck in 'school' all day

Snakeluvver3 said:
I was gonna get one but I can't afford a $650 bird to be honest.

$650 is kind of cheap. I don't think you're likely to find a good quality bigger parrot for cheap.

Okay, I know this is a little off the topic of Macaws as per the original posters question, but i've just found this clip, and HAD to share..... its GOLD :lol:

Cocky gets his groove on to Backstreet Boys

[video=youtube_share;N7IZmRnAo6s]http://youtu.be/N7IZmRnAo6s[/video]

Last edited:
Last edited:
how many breeders of hyacinth macaws are there in australia just out of curiosity[/QUOTE]

good luck with that one theres about 10 legal owners in the counrty!! if you cant mentally stimulate your bird it will feather pluck, if you get bitten by a hyacinth you can say good buy to your fingers!! seriously.
maybe start of a bit smaller and do alot of research.

$650 is likely an unweaned eckie, unless you're very experienced youre likely to have trouble. $750 is the cheapest weaned eckie I've seen, the average is around $900

On the Sunshine Coast they have gone up in demand. We were trying to part trade our breeding pair for a baby (and prices were around that $600 weaned!) but unless you have the time its hard and with two adults its even more time consuming....working out west doesn't help!

D3pro, ive watched that video like 50 times lool. That is one amazing grey !!!
Ahh Sarah living the parrot dream !! I want a blue fronted soo badddd lool

i have a yellow crown amazon she is a real character , ive noticed blue fronts have come down quite a bit in price .

My greenwing is loud, but not noisy :D I'd much rather him than a sun conure - they're loud AND noisy... lol.

Elmo only vocalises 'macaw' a couple of very short periods in a day, usually lasting less than 30seconds. All my neighbours know him and dont have a problem. Even my yellow nape amazon is noisier at times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back