Oxyuranus temporalis(new Taipan Species) picture

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendarwin

Reaction score
I have been looking for pictures of the new Taipan species found in WA, I have searched on here and google and finally come up with this link, It shows the Captured new species named "Scully". I am a bit dissapointed they have her preserved now (meaning the scientists killed her ).They had actually killed her before she was found to be a new species............. Why?

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/news/mysterysnake.asp

scientists love to chop things up and put them in bottles. They were obviously x files fans .

it looks like a cross between a coastal taipan and a gwardar. i doubt they would of killed it. a snake so rare needs to be studied and examined thouroughly. the movement and strike patterns need to be looked at! its not in a scientists best interests to kill it. but if they did they better be prepared for a big fine!

It was killed and collected as a brown snake and later identified as a new species(i think thats the story anyway).

Killing snakes is an important part of herpetology. As has been proved in this case. If you are ableeding heart just think of all the innocent cute furry critters it would have killed if it was left alone :lol: Im sure the goaana who missed out on a snack would be outraged about it too.

If the snake hadn't died, it wouldn't have been taken to the museum, it wouldn't have been had anyone take any notice of it and none of us would know there was a new Taipan out there. I don't know if this individual was deliberately killed for science, if it was a scavenged road kill, etc etc, but most species descriptions were done on animals killed for science, so they could be taken back to the museum or lab and thoroughly inspected. When you read any of your books, that's how the information you are learning came to be. If you want to boycott the system, please avoid all biological books, all online material about anything to do with biology, don't eat food, refuse to go to science classes at school, etc etc.

I will be very interested to see where this species fits into the list of "deadliest snakes". I wonder how it compares to the other tiapans and browns. :shock:
To add, I was always taught to never ASSUME anything, it only makes an ASS out of U and ME (ASS-U-ME), something helpful to remember, a lot of trouble these days errupts from assumptions.;)

Don't you need more than one to claim a new sp.? In case it's a anomaly?

A large proportion of species descriptions have been done based on just one specimen. It isn't at all unusual. In some cases this is perfectly valid, in others it is ridiculous. I consider this case to be a bit premature, but it was likely done to prevent certain overzealous taxonomy thieves from stealing the chance and publishing their own version of the species description in some desperado journal.

"No, I'm not thinking about anyone in particular." *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back