Oz Bright UV heat and light. Dodgy?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonustokin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I've recently started using an 160watt "OZ BRIGHT UV Heat and Light" Globe for my beardies. They seem to be enjoying it heaps, but sometimes it automatically switches off, then about 30secs later, it turns back on again. Is this normal????

It says "The only dual tube high intensity mercury vapor bulb powered by an internal balast." on the box. Would this have anything to do with it turning off???

Thanks for any help.
Bill.

Yer I just got a 100w oz heat n light bout 3weeks ago for my croc and I have the same problem...except mine wont turn back on! needs a 5min time out. Gave me a heart attack when it first happened thought the light had blown imo it's got something to do with overheating....thats the only thing I can put it down to?

Last edited:
thanks for the reply itbites. Yeah something like that.... :lol: Atleast it happening to both of us, it must be normal :D

i bought one a good 12 months ago and 30seconds after turning it on it blew and shatered bits of glass went flying all through my beardies tank i had a thread about them before many people said they had the same problem of them shattering.

MV's can't be switched off and on rapidly, they need a cool down period in between. Sounds like something interrupting the power.

MV's can't be switched off and on rapidly, they need a cool down period in between. Sounds like something interrupting the power.

Yep. Understood. But.... when it switches off, you cant switch it back on. I can play with the switch as much as i like, nothing happens... So i just leave it switched on then all of a sudden it comes on automatically.... Its like the Balast is overheating or something similar and it switches off and does its "cool down" thing then switches itself back on.

God i hope that makes sense mate :lol:

May seem the obvious question, but do you have the light operating on a thermostat?
MV's wont switch on and off like a normal incandescent globe..hence your problem with they won't switch on as described...and they can't be controlled by a thermostat.

Nope, no thermostat. I'm using the Oz Bright with a "Lamp N Clamp" is that okay? Or is the lamp n clamp not acceptable for MV's? :S

this is also prob a obvious question but does your clamp u have the light in have enough wattage to hold a the 160W lamp? just coz i know the exo terra clamps which is wat i have goes up to 150W but if u use a higher wattage u run into problems.

thats prob not the case but theres my 2 cents, better than nuthin dont complain, lol

Sounds like it has a delayed start up after powering down. As far as I am aware the mercury vapour lamps require a delay before restarting. This has something to do with the heat caused during normal running.

A thermal overload is probably a good idea but what you are reporting does not sound right.

I have an Aussie Sun 100watt MVB from the Herp Shop which should be pretty similar. It is in a location that will get pretty hot, just the way the Accies love it. It is on for between 3 and 6 hours per day depending upon the season, controlled by timer. It has never switched off except by switch or the timer in over a year. I got two at the time I first got it assuming that it would fail at some stage, which it no doubt will but I am in no hurry for it to do so.

if it is easy, i would set it up outside by itself. ie with more airflow. see if it thermos out then. otherwise it's a fault in the balast. you may want to put a (good quality) multimeter on your power point and see what voltage you are getting. a few volts either side is ok, but yours may fluctuate with other stuff being drawn off th same circuit in your house.i know it's been said, but they won't strike for a few minutes after going out and flicking the switch on and off won't help your cause.

Every so often you get a MV bulb which appears to have a minor fault in them. That is when they overheat, they just turn off. It takes a few minutes for them to restart which is normal. I find about 1 in 20 appear to have this fault. The 160w bulbs are excellent, specially for dragons. Try a new bulb and you will probably solve the problem if you cannot put up with the excisting bulb

thanks bigguy.
I'm getting real sick of this bulb.

I rang URS on friday. They explained to me that ALL the OZBRIGHT bulbs turn off when they overheat. (something to do with the internal balast) They also told me they turn off from vibrations. So if your setup is in a hallway or something with heaps of traffic for example.....

I reckon if the bulb costs around $70, like the ozbright does, it should have this info printed on the box. I know i wouldnt of purchased it, if it was.

This bulb stays on for about 5mins then automaticcaly turns off....then about 1 min later it tries to turn itself back on, but it starts blinking and carrying on for another minute or so then comes good.... All the blinking and stuff stresses out my beardies and i dont like it. Never buying another one of these bulbs, they suck :(

I have one of these bulbs in my blue tongue's enclosure and I haven't had any problems with it. Maybe you just got a dud one.

They definately dont all do it. I run heaps and its only the ocassional one that does it. I have noticed that these more sensitive bulbs that do overheat and switch off, can also be effected by vibrations like URS stated. But again, its only an occasional one that does it. As I stated before a new bulb will probably solve your problem. These are great bulbs for your reptiles, and could only be surpassed by the sun itself.

thanks again bigguy. I just got a video of it doing its thing. ill upload it in a few minutes mate so you can check out what this thing is doing lol.

Do you think the petshop would replace it?
$70 isnt something i have to throw around, especially if i just ended up with one the same! lol

Video be up in a sec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back