painting enclosures ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScalyMung

Reaction score
i was wondering does anyone paint there enclosures [mdf ] with primer or a type of sealer before they paint it ? as i've just bought some wattyl wash & wear paint for a mdf enclosure to house a juv. mertens water monitor in & i was just curious what other people do before & after they paint or just paint alone !!!
cheers deano :D:D:D

i havent painted an mdf enclosure before however i have painted mdf, and what i will say is that if it is raw mdf it will soak up the paint like you wouldnt believe, it will take at least 3 coats

seal it first with an acrylic sealer as it dries quicker and only releases ammonia as it dries oil based paints can be toxic to animals, then you should be fine to put that wash and wear on it just make sure you let it dry out for a few days to make sure it has completely cured. Hope this helps out if you have any other questions you can pm me

After painting hook up the electrics and crank the thermostat to max, leave it baking until there are no fumes

cheers for that i whent out today & bought a water base primer sealer. its quite thick but goes a long way tho. used bugger all & done nearly half of it really impressed with it, looks like i might have to make some more enclosures to use up the left over paint [ can't waste it now !!!! ] i just have to convince the wife its only for the waste factor which i'm trying to prevent:rolleyes: not trying to sleaze more reps.....!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
cheers deano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back