PayPal payments not safe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

Lot of people are hesitant to use PayPal as payment option. I would like to know why.
I had the impression that PayPal is one of the safest way to pay on line.
It is safer than credit card or bank transfer by my opinion. Am I wrong?

I use it Slatey, have never had any problems at all. I think some people are a little bit hesitant, with all the internet scams it is no wonder, but IMO I think it is about the best around.

I've never used it for reptile purchases, but I've used it to both pay and accept payments for ebay items.. I've never had problems with it and would recommend it due to the safety it offers both buyer and seller.

Yeah ive used it for a few years with Ebay and never had a problem with it , very convenient

Consumer Alert: PayPal's Problems

Customer service woes continue to plague popular payment service.

Tom Mainelli

Thursday, May 30, 2002 02:00 PM PDT

If you're among the roughly 16 million people signed up to use PayPal, you know how handy the online payment service can be, and chances are, you've never had a problem.
That said, customer service has long been a trouble spot for the company, as we reported last October in Consumer Watch. And although PayPal says it has improved its service, two law firms have launched class-action suits against the company because of customer service problems.

Sheila Stawicki of Woodville, Alabama, knows those problems firsthand. She used PayPal without a hitch for two years. But in January someone fraudulently accessed her PayPal account and liberated $3000 from her bank account. She recovered half the money through her bank, but needed PayPal's help with the rest. After calling and e-mailing PayPal repeatedly for 45 days, Stawicki says she'd received only disconnects and canned replies. She got a refund after PC World contacted PayPal.

PayPal says Stawicki's case was an anomaly, caused partly by a now-complete move from paper to electronic affidavits. PayPal also added customer service staff: 280 agents are now available daily, says Vincent Sollitto, vice president of corporate communications. Most complaints are resolved within 24 hours, he says.
Lawsuits Pending

The two possible class-action lawsuits paint a less-rosy customer service picture.
One suit, handled by Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo of San Francisco, alleges PayPal places barriers between itself and users, hindering those who experience problems. The suit also contends PayPal goes overboard in its fraud prevention, sometimes erroneously freezing or closing accounts.
The other suit, filed by national firm Jacoby and Meyers, makes similar claims. Even without advertising the suit (it's unlikely to get class-action status for a few months), the firm already has nearly a thousand complaints about PayPal, says Gail Koff, a founding member of the practice.
PayPal's Sollitto says neither lawsuit has merit and they will be contested "vigorously."
PayPal has made a business decision to save money by offering sometimes inadequate support to users who aren't business-class, paying customers, says Avivah Litan, vice president and research director at Gartner Research.
Sellers pay per transaction, but buyers get to use PayPal's service for free. PayPal isn't concerned about losing some nonpaying users, Litan says.
Sollitto vehemently denies that PayPal offers poor service to any of its customers.
Not A Bank

Paypal's customer service troubles highlight the fact that while PayPal looks like a bank, it has carefully avoided becoming one, says Steve Schutze, the American Banking Association's e-strategies director. Banks must abide by regulatory and internal audits, and by other rules, he says. But "there is no regulation that says they [PayPal] must work with you to resolve the problem."
PayPal's chief competitor, EBay Payments (formerly BillPoint), follows banking regulations because it outsources all payment banking functions to Wells Fargo, a national bank which once owned 35 percent of BillPoint. Citibank offers C2It, another rival, so it too falls under banking rules.
All in all, negative press over the pending suits and poor customer service don't seem to be diminishing users' appetite for PayPal. Gartner analysts project that the company, which debuted in 2000 with about 10,000 users, will reach 25 million users by 2003.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,101525-page,1/article.html

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal

...of particular interest to the seller, is this information:

PayPal's Seller Protection policies do not cover intangible goods or goods that are "not as described". Many scammers have used this lack of policy to their advantage. They will buy a product and pay for it via PayPal. When the product is received, they will dispute the charge as "not as described." This freezes the seller's account until the dispute is finalized. After the freeze, PayPal is unlikely to gain back the funds, thus leaving a negative balance to the seller.

PayPal is a member of the Better Business Bureau of Silicon Valley, although it has a significant number of unresolved complaints

PayPal protects sellers in a limited fashion via the Seller Protection Policy[14]. In general the Seller Protection Policy is intended to protect the seller from chargebacks or complaints but it is subject to various terms. PayPal states the Seller Protection Policy is "designed to protect sellers against claims by buyers of unauthorised payments and against claims of non-receipt of any merchandise". Note that this contrasts with the consumer protection they claim to offer. This policy should be read carefully before assuming protection. In particular the Seller Protection Policy includes a list of "Exclusions" which itself includes "Intangible goods", "Claims for receipt of goods 'not as described'" and "Total reversals over the annual limit". There are also other restrictions in terms of the sale itself, the payment method and the destination country the item is shipped to (simply having a tracking mechanism is not sufficient to guarantee the Seller Protection Policy is in effect).

and on and on and on blah blah blah

It's a risk, but then, so is playing with a big snake. :)

I use it to purchase things from the USA. To this day I have never had an issue.

Would it be safe to make the assumption that the people who don't want to PayPal don't use Internet Banking either?????

The thing is, you can make a deposit into your PayPal account and have the funds debited from there without actually giving the other party your primary account details. I would prefer this way of payment than tranfering directly from my primary Bank Account. JMO

I am not worried about it at all. Most of the problems seem to plague the seller, rather than the buyer. Here, you are the seller. :)

I don't like that I have to allocate a dollar amount of funds to PayPal to have an account. That theoretically they can call on my funds at any time as by opening the account and allocaring these funds, I have given them my permission to do so. Sure, I can fight it if they do, but the resolution process is worse than Ebays.

After having experienced first hand the cowmanure and headache involved in getting my funds refunded through a bank once, I won't put myself in a position to go through it again and I certainly won't let it happen with PayPal and their dreadful customer service.

I had a PayPal account once, it expired. I haven't subscribed here now as I won't use PayPal again. If you had a direct Debit system, or accepted cheques to a PO Box, I would happily subscribe.

None of this is actually an issue for me, I simply was bored tonight, saw this post and thought to do a little internet dredging to allow people to read and see for themselves if it is good or bad. Thousands of people use PayPal very happily. As I see it above, the biggest risk here is to you, the seller.

:)

It's great Slatey, the conveniance of using your credit card or bank account without the other person knowing your details. Direct payments and most of all security, it's the way of the future. Unfortunately it cost you 2.625% or there abouts to receive money which is about the average with banks and your not under contract for a minimum of 2 years or so like you are with a bank.
I think it's the unknown that deters people, fair enough too.

Yes. The problem from our end is there's a lot more manually work when we need to accept via bank transfer. We need to provide the details, check back at the bank account regularly to find out when the subscription has come, work out who it's from, then manually add them on the site.

With PayPal, we don't need to get involved at all. We're not worried about chargebacks for the small amounts we charge, and the transaction fee is the price you pay for convenience.

re payPal

I always pay transactions with money orders even on Ebay and herp shop you put money in their bank acount,still heaps of people believe it or not that dont have credit cards and generally dont like to do financial transactions on computers.

All this is interesting.
But looks like nobody had any security problem with PayPal in past.

Last edited:
I will try and only use paypal on ebay now, we got hacked. I tracked the bank and branch that the money went to and the cops said there was nothing they could do and its just another ebay problem. So the guy got away with it. :evil:

ive never had a problem with it, i will use it when ever possible

Paypal

had a account with paypal for 3 months then $150 was taken out without my authorisation ?
emailed them about 6 times ??? no replies,
so stuff them ,
guess im down $150
lucky they didnt take more ?

i went to the paypal site once... i had to sign up JUST TO GIVE SOMEONE MONEY hahaha doubt it ... ill just internet transfer thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back