PayPal payments not safe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i found setting up pay pal a pain in the #@#*&.however after the initial set up i have had no problems and have even been refunded after a deal turned out to be dodgie

I will try and only use paypal on ebay now, we got hacked. I tracked the bank and branch that the money went to and the cops said there was nothing they could do and its just another ebay problem. So the guy got away with it. :evil:

What do you mean you got hacked? Someone got your bank account details and took your money? What does that have to do with ebay? That is clearly a crime and the cops would have to do something about it!

I used to have a paypal account but after paying my AUS$15 annual fee and using it once, I trashed it and given the grief they gave me, I'll not be signing up again.

What do you mean you got hacked? Someone got your bank account details and took your money? What does that have to do with ebay? That is clearly a crime and the cops would have to do something about it!

I used to have a paypal account but after paying my AUS$15 annual fee and using it once, I trashed it and given the grief they gave me, I'll not be signing up again.

I had one of those mini pocket bikes for sale and a guy bought it, i sent him an email a couple of days later asking when he was going to pay for it, he said he allready had. So we checked it out and all our acount details had been changed, we tracked it back to some asian name and the branch, the police computer fraud squad said *exact words* Its just another bloody ebay problem, i suguest you dont use it. They had bigger problems to deal with other than my few hundred dollar problem. They guy did get most of his money back and ebay were going to look into it...I have no idea of their outcome

paypal might be ok,

but what about members who don't have credit cards, it does happen, not everybody has or wants a credit card, and what about the younger members that can't get a credit card, it's ok for some of the members but you are forgetting about all the others,
just another case of looking after one section of members and forgeting about the others,

you should set up a payment section where you can do paypal/internet transfer/money order/cheque, it is possible as it's done on ebay all the time,

i feel if you really want all members to subscribe you would have more then one way to pay...

just my opinion.................

sorry to hear of your problems with these systems snakes4me2 :(

I use all of the payment methods mentioned in this thread: PayPal, Direct Internet Transfer, Money Order and yes even online CC transactions.
Never had a problem whatsoever with any - just lucky I guess :)

paypal might be ok,

but what about members who don't have credit cards, it does happen, not everybody has or wants a credit card, and what about the younger members that can't get a credit card, it's ok for some of the members but you are forgetting about all the others,
just another case of looking after one section of members and forgeting about the others,

you should set up a payment section where you can do paypal/internet transfer/money order/cheque, it is possible as it's done on ebay all the time,

i feel if you really want all members to subscribe you would have more then one way to pay...

just my opinion.................

Have I misread you? PayPal is no longer a credit card only facility, it can now be linked to savings accounts.

cheers
Cat

I had one of those mini pocket bikes for sale and a guy bought it, i sent him an email a couple of days later asking when he was going to pay for it, he said he allready had. So we checked it out and all our acount details had been changed, we tracked it back to some asian name and the branch, the police computer fraud squad said *exact words* Its just another bloody ebay problem, i suguest you dont use it. They had bigger problems to deal with other than my few hundred dollar problem. They guy did get most of his money back and ebay were going to look into it...I have no idea of their outcome

Oh, so someone hacked your ebay account and got the money put into their own account. Couldn't they do that with your paypal account as well?

Thanks caffiend. Sorry magpie i didnt explain it too well hey.

I think it actually started from an email we got, we logged onto ebay through the email *DER* how dumb, it was a virus thing that people can get your passwords. Then when we typed it in the guy had full access to our ebay account, (he would have known that the bike was sold) so when we logged off he logged back on and changed OUR bank details to HIS, so the guy that had bought the bike done a direct deposit into HIS account, then he deleted it a took off. Hope that makes sence this time

Thanks caffiend. Sorry magpie i didnt explain it too well hey.

I think it actually started from an email we got, we logged onto ebay through the email *DER* how dumb, it was a virus thing that people can get your passwords. Then when we typed it in the guy had full access to our ebay account, (he would have known that the bike was sold) so when we logged off he logged back on and changed OUR bank details to HIS, so the guy that had bought the bike done a direct deposit into HIS account, then he deleted it a took off. Hope that makes sence this time

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at phishers!!!!!

really sorry to hear about this :(

aaahhh the joys of the internet. Was a lesson learned to be very careful, some people have bought things off there for thousands of dollars that never existed. Thats gota suck.

I read a story about a guy who bought an SS commodore (i think) really cheap as owner was moving overseas......poor guy paid about $20 000 for a car that wasnt for sale.
It doent matter what they have, there will allways be a way to scam money off someone :evil:

You can go to the bank and get a debit card, looks like a credit card and is used like one but only with money you actually put into it yourself, that way if someone does hack you they can only get whats in there, not extra like on a credit card.

I have been using paypal for over 5 years now, with ebay and without, the most problems people have with it are due to scammers on ebay, not paypal itself.

For convienence I love it, and I rather that to any other online payment system.

re Paypal

Why cant a site that seems to have better traffic volumes than others raise sufficient revenue from advertisers in the first place,it adds value to the site that the little person can advertise his bluetongue for free and he becomes traffic that looks at banners.Things have gone like foxtel with advertising revenue and pay for view,some like it both ways but not this little black duck !

We may have better volumes, but we also have more expenses. We're running on an Australian dedicated server for starters, bandwidth costs in Australia are significantly higher than in the US where some other sites are run out of.

We have more sponsors too - but we charge them about the same amount as because of the increased amount of sponsors the individual exposure is reduced.

Previously we have relied soley on donations - and there were a few donators who contributed a great deal. While it is good they are supporting their community, we feel that those who benefit from it the most (at least from a financial standpoint) should be the ones who help to spread the load of supporting this site (and let's face it $5 a year isn't a lot to ask).

Those who pay for subscription accounts are often those who would have donated anyway - but not always. There are some extra benefits for subscriptions which didn't exist with plain old donations, and this is why we have had so many of them over the past week.

Beyond all this, let's remember that there is only 1 thing a regular member CANNOT do on APS that a seller/subscriber can - post new items on the For Sale forums. All other functionality of the site is available to anyone - we will not tier APS' functionality in such a way.

Lets face it, 5 or 10 bucks a year for the info and connections you get from this site isn't expensive.

Be a subscriber, give back to the comunity your a part of on here :)

You can go to the bank and get a debit card, looks like a credit card and is used like one but only with money you actually put into it yourself, that way if someone does hack you they can only get whats in there, not extra like on a credit card.

I have been using paypal for over 5 years now, with ebay and without, the most problems people have with it are due to scammers on ebay, not paypal itself.

For convienence I love it, and I rather that to any other online payment system.

Same sort of system I use. Paypal can only grab the correct money I transfer across, and I only ever transfer the exact amount to be used. Never had a problem with paypal, but have had problems with direct payment to sites. I usually tend to go with the same sellers from Ebay most of the time, so no problems there.

do you need a credit card to use paypal?

Once upon a time, but they now allow for bank accounts I've heard. That's the one I wouldn't trust.

oh ok cause i mainly pay for things on ebay using bank transfer cause i dont have a credit card

it takes about 5 days to go through from a bank account compared to instant with a credit card

Use paypal all the time and never had a problem with it. Used it the night before last night actually to buy a $450 item and the item is here already.

Just go ask the bank for a debit card, simple and easy, I have one for using on the net all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back