People killing snakes.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormangel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've read on numerous forums about people killing snakes because they've gotten to close to the house, pets etc

here's an eg:

"We found a snake in our backyard today which was all reared up and about to bite one of the dogs. We called them inside and Trev despatched said snake with a shovel"

firstly she didnt know what type of snake it was and didn't think to seek help on the matter....

What advice would you give to a non snake lover about this sort of situation?

I've been reading national parks site about this problem to the endangerment of snakes and thought about posting soemthing like this.

Snakes play an important role in many different types of ecosystems. However, their numbers are generally declining. There are a variety of probable reasons for this, including:

* the removal of snake habitat, through such things as the clearing of land for agriculture or urban development; more frequent bushfires; or the taking of bushrock (an important source of shelter for snakes) from the bush for people's gardens
* the hunting of snakes by introduced animals such as foxes, dogs and cats
* the running-over of many snakes on roads
* the indiscriminate killing of snakes by people who fear or dislike them. Many harmless snakes, and even legless lizards, are killed unnecessarily in this way.

But I want to get the message across in a way they don't feel threatened by what I'm saying, who's to say that her pets didn't sniff the snake out rather then the other way round. People assume snakes are the provokers, anyway any suggestions are welcome because I have a few posts to reply to in a sensible way.

thanks for your help :)

Welcome stormangel. As far as educating people re reptiles its a hard one and I think every situation needs to be assessed on its own merits. Some people respond to logic while others a sledgehammer :wink: I find if you offer suggestions as to why reps have a bad reputation as well as whats great about them, people tend to listen more. Suggest historical, cultural and religious aspects of reptiles and people may recognize their own misinformed opinions and how they came about them. Just my thoughts tho.

I can imagine!

But at least you can help out in an informative and thought provoking way, even save a few snakes here and there from the viscious fate of a shovel

which I'm guessing living rurally there's a whole heap of snakes "terrorising" poor innocents (note sarcasm) which would or could keep you very busy :)

Hi Stormangel - welcome to APS.

What you have written reads very well - perhaps you could add something along the lines of

Most snake bites occur when the person attempts to remove or kill the snake. If you encounter a snake you should either:

1. Leave it alone.
2. Call a professional snake handler.

Attempting to handle the situation on your own greatly increase your risk of injury.

Good luck. (But I think that most people have already made up there minds. :( )

Umm, well it is illeagal to kill a snake as it is a native australian animal. Most of the people (including a few farmers, - worse of the lot :D , - Im a farmers daughter and allowed to say that!), that I know, I tell them not to kill it and if they don't want to ring a professional snake handler give me a yell and I'l relocate it. Its worked so far. And I was reading somewhere that most deaths occuring from snake bites, happen when a person is trying to kill it.

:( its so sad that ppl still think along the lines that "the only good snake is a dead snake". Which i have found to be the attitude of alot of ppl i have met since my interest in snakes started. But i have also converted a few ppl by inviting them to my home and seeing my reptiles and just talking to them, i know that isnt going to work with everyone but its worth a try. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back