Perspex instead of glass?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on where/how you're using it... But I'm not sure how it would get scratched.

Depending on where/how you're using it... But I'm not sure how it would get scratched.
you have a very good point lawra, I'm presently scratching my head thinking " What was I thinking"? not sure, anyhow, don't think the snakes would scratch it lol, so how else would it get scratched?

you have a very good point lawra, I'm presently scratching my head thinking " What was I thinking"? not sure, anyhow, don't think the snakes would scratch it lol, so how else would it get scratched?

Aside from the obvious, like grabbing a compass and scratching graffiti into it, acrylic will scratch from simple dust, harsh cloth materials (jeans), cleaning (if you aren't using a lubricant as in metho or the like). It is not a question of "will it scratch just sitting there?" no... but simply that it is more prone to scratching since the hardness of acrylic is no where near that of glass.

Some very good points been made above.

Personally, I use perspex. In my new previous bearded dragon enclosure, (my own fault) I had some problems with glass. Went got it cut, took home.. Didn't fit my gap. I was not happy. I stuffed up the measurements completely. Rang up, gave em my new correct measurements. Took it home, and dropped a piece.. Was not happy. $80 down the drain so far. So I swore a bit, kicked a few things.. The usual stuff when your extremely angry. So I decided I'd go perspex again. Its been great so far. No flex in it because its not high enough and its 4.5mm thick. Any taller and it would flex.

But perspex is working for me. It might not for you so its entirely up to the situation your in and the design of your enclosure.

(When I get my monitor I'll be going glass for sure)

Some very good points been made above.

Personally, I use perspex. In my new previous bearded dragon enclosure, (my own fault) I had some problems with glass. Went got it cut, took home.. Didn't fit my gap. I was not happy. I stuffed up the measurements completely. Rang up, gave em my new correct measurements. Took it home, and dropped a piece.. Was not happy. $80 down the drain so far. So I swore a bit, kicked a few things.. The usual stuff when your extremely angry. So I decided I'd go perspex again. Its been great so far. No flex in it because its not high enough and its 4.5mm thick. Any taller and it would flex.

But perspex is working for me. It might not for you so its entirely up to the situation your in and the design of your enclosure.

(When I get my monitor I'll be going glass for sure)

Does you beardie not scratch at the walls or doors? I know mine does from time to time an glass suited for me, an the fact glass is normally cheaper then acrylic is a bonus.

Rick

Don't use metho or any sort of thinners, it will make Perspex cloudy. Lizards I can understand scratching it but not really snakes.

This is a previous thread on perspex that will give you some information.

[h=1]Glass or Perspex???[/h]
Thanks andynic07 I did have a look first but obviously missed it, some good info there too, thanks everyone, it sounds like too much hassle to go with acrylic, I'll stick with glass and be patient, and wait for help...shezz thanks again :)

Does you beardie not scratch at the walls or doors? I know mine does from time to time an glass suited for me, an the fact glass is normally cheaper then acrylic is a bonus.

Rick

Not yet lol. When he wants come out he kinda just leans his head against the door. Perspex was actually cheaper for me. The first bit of glass that didn't fit was $50, they gave me 50% off the second bit which I broke and the perspex was 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back