Peruvian Amazon 5 -- Madre Selva Frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi David,

Just wondering, were you lucky enough to see any Caimans? and will we be lucky enough to see them?

ShnakeyGirl,

I saw Spectacled Caimans along the Rio Orosa. The guides captured one but I unfortunately missed my photo opportunity. I do have shots of a captive Smooth Caiman that I will include in my final Allpahauyo Mishana post.

I think that you would enjoy the following post from Madre Selve by Christopher, an avid herper over on FHF. Follow his links and you will see hordes of interesting animals.

a 2010 post:
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Return to the Peruvian Amazon, PT1, Snakes and Caiman

... another good one from 2008, includes Black Caiman:
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 1--With Legs and scales

Eitan has a great report from the same place:
Herp Trips

Young has had a couple of series of posts from two trips:
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part One
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part Two

Dick Bartlett has still others on FHF. There are plenty there to keep one entertained for hours. Madre Selva in particular has received a great deal of attention due to its amazing diversity. It is one of the best and most accessible sites in the upper Amazon, hence all of the visits.

Regards,
David

Wow, amazing photos. Thanks for sharing David

Thanks, Robo.

Bricked, I think that I missed something.

Here are a few additional pics of the species posted above. Some of these frogs are just so beautiful!
frog_Atelopus1.jpg

frogHylatriangulum3.jpg

frogEpipedobatestrivitatus7.jpg

frogEpipedobatestrivitatus6.jpg

frogDendrobatesduellmani3.jpg

frogDendrobatesduellmani2.jpg

I posted the arachnid photos on arachnoboards and now have better identifications of these animals.

1 & 2) A male whip scorpion, maybe genus Heterophrynus.
400arthro_tailless_whipscorpion2.jpg
400arthro_tailless_whipscorpion1.jpg

1) Phoneutria, family Ctenidae
2) Pamphobeteus sp.
400arthro_spiderbanana1.jpg
400arthro_spidertarantula1.jpg

1) family Ctenidae
2) Huntsman, family Sparassidae
400arthro_spider3.jpg
400arthro_spider2.jpg

1) family Ctenidae
2) Tityus sp.
400arthro_spider4.jpg
400arthro_scorpion1.jpg

Here are a few additional photos supplied by Ted Cordery.

Pleasing Fungus Beetle:
P1170216Medium.jpg

in-situ Bassler's Sheep Frog (Chiasmocleis bassleri):
P1170206Medium.jpg

in-situ Osteocephalus, maybe O. yasuni.
P1170184Medium.jpg

Regards,
David

ShnakeyGirl,

I saw Spectacled Caimans along the Rio Orosa. The guides captured one but I unfortunately missed my photo opportunity. I do have shots of a captive Smooth Caiman that I will include in my final Allpahauyo Mishana post.

I think that you would enjoy the following post from Madre Selve by Christopher, an avid herper over on FHF. Follow his links and you will see hordes of interesting animals.

a 2010 post:
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Return to the Peruvian Amazon, PT1, Snakes and Caiman

... another good one from 2008, includes Black Caiman:
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 1--With Legs and scales

Eitan has a great report from the same place:
Herp Trips

Young has had a couple of series of posts from two trips:
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part One
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part Two

Dick Bartlett has still others on FHF. There are plenty there to keep one entertained for hours. Madre Selva in particular has received a great deal of attention due to its amazing diversity. It is one of the best and most accessible sites in the upper Amazon, hence all of the visits.

Regards,
David

Thanks very much David, it certainly will keep me entertained for hours. Caiman's are beautiful and fascinating animals.

Opps, sorry I realised my fiancee was logged in!

-ShnakeyGirl

Last edited:
amazing photos mate ... quality

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back