Peruvian Amazon 9 (final) -- participants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
I have intended to make a final post of the trip to the Amazon for awhile but work has been in the way. In this post, I am including mostly photos from others to show the participants of the tour. I always spend too much time taking photos of obscure things and end up with too few photos of other people. I also am including a breakdown of our time in the field and a list of websites that I found to be useful when preparing for the trip.

Here is a shot of the Nenita taken by Jerry as he departed with the luggage for Santa Cruz:
nenita.jpg

This photo was taken on our first afternoon as the Nenita turned into the Rio Orosa from the Amazon. We were all excited by our impending arrival at Madre Selva and enjoyed all of the late afternoon bird activity. Dolphins were a frequent sight in this area. (photo by Jerry):
everyone.jpg

Once at the station, we soon settled into a pattern of searching the forest for reptiles in the morning and then photographing the finds through the hot afternoons. At night, we again hit the trail for a few hours.
Matt, Lorrie, me and Jerry (photo by Doug):
DSC_0193.jpg

Lorrie, Dick and Konrad working out the identification of one of the animals (photo by Alan):
63-aboutthedata.jpg

Photographing a small snake (photo by Ted): Jerry, Konrad, Young, me
P1170406Medium.jpg

Several of us spent a fair amount of time birding as well as herping. It really was hard not to enjoy the avian spectacles. Margarita Tours brought along Percy who is a student from the university in Iquitos. Percy knew the birds well and was always a pleasant and helpful guide (photo by Jerry).
Percy.jpg

Percy helping Ted, me and Ed with the identification of flycatcher (photo by Doug):
IMG_7299.jpg

Me, Ted, Percy and Ed studying a bird from the canopy tower at Madre Selva (photo by Doug):
IMG_7043.jpg

We also birded while cruising along the river. The Nenita often hugged the shore and we ended up seeing quite a number of interesting birds such as Donacobius, Yellow-shouldered Blackbirds, Masked Crimson Tanagers, White-cheeked Jacamars, Bananaquits and many others (photo by Doug):
IMG_7230.jpg

Jerry brought along the most impressive lens! (photo by Alan)
Jerryhadthebiggest.jpg

Paula was delighted by this sloth that some of the village kids brought to us. (photo by Alan)!
Paulaandbaby.jpg

... Doug was pleased with this Amazon Tree Boa that he found the previous night (photo by Alan):
Doug.jpg

... Courtney with his Rainbow Boa (photos by Doug):
DSC_0211_800-1.jpg

... Konrad and a Bothrops:
konrad.jpg

A few people tried their luck at fishing but I think that Courtney was the only one who caught a piranha ... Doug and Ed (photo by Ted):
P1170262Medium.jpg

Ed (photo by Ted)
P1170454Medium.jpg

There was no shortage of food on the tour. I expected to drop a few kilos but the food was too good for this. The Peruvian cooks did an excellent job and our meals were varied and included some unusual animals such as paca (photo by Jerry):
lunch.jpg

We had a banquet on the final night of the tour back in Iquitos. We sampled all sorts of game animals from the basin: (photo by Doug):
IMG_7404.jpg

Paula and Inez (photo by Doug):
IMG_1534_800.jpg

Matt and Young (photo by Jerry):
YoungMatt.jpg

Jerry (photo by staff of Jerry):
Jerry1.jpg

Alan and Paula (photo by Jerry and Ed):
alanPaula2.jpg

AlanPaula.jpg

me, Ed and Ted:
LosTresAmigos.jpg

Ken
quizzicalKen.jpg

Doug and Cam:
DougandCam.jpg

We visited a rum distillery while on the trip downriver to Madre Selva. These are photos of the place by Ted.
P1170074yanamonorumfactoryMedium.jpg

P1170066yanamonorumfactoryMedium.jpg

P1170065yanamonorumfactoryMedium.jpg

P1170068yanamonorumfactoryMedium.jpg

P1170066yanamonorumfactoryMedium.jpg

"amazon moonshine"
P1170067yanamonorumfactoryMedium.jpg

Magarita Staff:
Dick (photo by Jerry):
Dick.jpg

Lorrie (photo by Doug):
IMG_7110_800.jpg

IMG_7108_800.jpg

Caesar, an excellent guide (photo by Jerry):
Caesar1.jpg

Hubert, another excellent guide (photo by Jerry):
Hubert1.jpg

Cook at Santa Cruz (photo by Jerry):
cook.jpg

We had a quiet afternoon in Iquitos on the final day of the tour. In the late afternoon, my friends and I went down to look over the Rio Itaya floodplain. We met several Israeli birders and after talking for awhile, one of the Israelis and I realized that we had met before in Wollongong in the early '90s when I organized pelagic seabird trips. The guy's name was Noam Shany. I unfortunately (and embarrassingly) did not realize that he was one of the co-authors along with Clements of the the first field guide to the birds of Peru. He certainly knew the Peruvian birds and gave us advice about locations to try at Allpahuayo Mishana. (photo by Ed)
Israelis.jpg

Trip itinerary:
14-17 Jan: Arrived in Iquitos a few days before the commencement of the tour. Private trips to Allpahuayo Mishana National Reserve for birding/herping on Fri and Sat and again on Sat night. Sunday was unfortunately a wasted day.

---- Start of Margarita Tour -----
18 Jan (Mon): morning departure from Iquitos for a day long trip to Madre Selva. Night herping at Madre Selva.
19 Jan (Tue): all day at Madre Selva.
20 Jan (Wed): all day at Madre Selva.
21 Jan (Thu): all day at Madre Selva.
22 Jan (Fri): a couple of hours herping after breakfast and then a departure at 11 am for the trip upriver towards Santa Cruz. The boat eventually stopped for the night on the banks of the Amazon.
23 Jan (Sat): continued with the trip upriver to Santa Cruz and arrived at the field station mid-afternoon. A couple of hours of late afternoon herping and then herping at night.
24 Jan (Sun): all day at Santa Cruz.
25 Jan (Mon): all day at Santa Cruz.
26 Jan (Tue): all day at Santa Cruz.
27 Jan (Wed): immediate departure from Santa Cruz after breakfast and back in Iquitos in time for lunch. The tour had sadly ended.
---- End Margarita Tour -----

28 Jan (Thu): private trip to Allpahuayo Mishana using Percy as our guide. Excellent day.

Useful Links:

Birds:
xeno-canto :: bird sounds from around the world

Invertebrates:
learnaboutbutterflies.com
Flickr: Neotropical Butterflies and Moths
Some Butterflies of Amazonian Brazil
Neotropical_Butterflies_HomePage
Welcome to Butterflies of America!
Peru - a set on Flickr
Ithomiinae illustrated checklist
Flickr: artour_a's Photostream

Reptiles:

my posts:
part 1, River and Sites
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Another Peruvian Amazon series -- pt 1, River and Sites
part 2, Butterflies
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Another Peruvian Amazon series -- pt 2, Butterflies
part 3, Madre Selva Reptiles
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Another Peruvian Amazon series -- pt 3, Madre Selva Reptiles
part 4, Madre Selva Frogs
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Another Peruvian Amazon series -- pt 4, Madre Selva Frogs
part 5, Santa Cruz Snakes
FieldHerpForum • View topic - More From The Amazon!
part 6, Santa Cruz Frogs/Liz
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Another Peruvian Amazon series -- pt 6, Santa Cruz Frogs/Liz
part 7, Allpahuayo Mishana
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Another Peruvian Amazon series -- pt 7, Allpahuayo Mishana

Young Cage's posts:
More from the Amazon:
Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part One
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part One
Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part Two
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part Two
Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part Three
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon 2007 Part Three
Peruvian Amazon Part One
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon Visit
Peruvian Amazon Part Two
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon Part Two
Peruvian Amazon Part Three
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Peruvian Amazon Trip, Part Three

Dick Bartlett's posts:
Amazon in Orange
FieldHerpForum • View topic - The Amazon in Orange
More Amazon Pix -- Various and sundry
FieldHerpForum • View topic - More Amazon Pix—Various and sundry
More from the Amazon!
And if you're not tired of the Amazon yet...
FieldHerpForum • View topic - And if you're not tired of the Amazon yet...
A few more Amazon Snakes
FieldHerpForum • View topic - A Few More Amazon Snakes

Christopher
Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 1--With legs and scales
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 1--With Legs and scales
Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 2--Amphibians
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 2--Amphibians
Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 3 -- Without Legs
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 3--Without Legs
Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 4 -- The Others Inver
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Into the Peruvian Amazon--PT 4--The "Others" Inver
Return to the Peruvian Amazon, PT1, Snakes and Caimans
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Return to the Peruvian Amazon, PT1, Snakes and Caiman
Return to the Peruvian Amazon, PT2, Amphibs and Lizards
FieldHerpForum • View topic - Return to the Peruvian Amazon, PT2, Amphibs and Lizards

Eitan's
Herp Trips

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back