Pet Crocodile~ have you seen this before?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a good, and odd, animal bonding story for you.
“Keep the faith, Baby !! ”

Rather than trying to tame wild stallions, fearless Costa Rican fisherman, Chito, prefers a playful wrestle in the water, with his best pal Pocho - a 17ft crocodile.

GetInline.aspx

The 52-year-old daredevil draws gasps of amazement from onlookers, by wading chest-deep into the water, then whistling for his 980lb buddy - and giving him an affectionate hug.

GetInline.aspx

Chito made friends with the croc after finding him with a gunshot wound, on the banks of the Central American state's Parismina river 20 years ago. He had been shot in the left eye, by a cattle farmer, and was close to death.

However, Chito enlisted the help of several pals to load the massive reptile into his boat.

He says: "When I found Pocho in the river he was dying, so I brought him into my house. He was very skinny, weighing only around 150 lb. I gave him chicken and fish and medicine for six months, to help him recover.

"I stayed by Pocho's side, while he was ill, sleeping next to him at night. I just wanted him to feel that somebody loved him, that not all humans are bad.

"It meant a lot of sacrifice. I had to be there every day. I love all animals - especially ones that have suffered."

It took years before Chito felt that Pocho had bonded with him enough to get closer to the animal.
GetInline.aspx

He says: "After a decade, I started to work with him. At first it was slow, slow. I played with him a bit, slowly doing more.

"Then I found out that, when I called his name he would come over to me."

During his recovery, Chito left the croc in a lake near his house, but as he turned to walk away, to his amazement, Pocho got out of the water and began to follow him home.

Chito recalls: "That convinced me the crocodile could be tame." However, when he first fearlessly waded into the water with the giant reptile, his family was so horrified they couldn't bear to watch. So, instead, he took to splashing around with Pocho, when they were asleep.

Four years ago, Chito showed some of his tricks to friends, including getting the animal to close his eyes on command, and they convinced him to go public with a show.

GetInline.aspx

Now he swims and plays with Pocho as well as feeding him at the lake near his home, in the lowland tropical town of Sarapiqui .

GetInline.aspx

The odd couple have now become a major tourist attraction, with several tour operators, including Crocodile Adventures, taking visitors on touring cruises to see the pair.

GetInline.aspx

On the Crocodile Adventures website, it describes the spectacle as: "One of the most amazing things that no cruise ship passenger will want to miss, the adventure show between the man and the crocodile."

GetInline.aspx

yeah its a great story, and makes me laugh at all those people who say reptiles cant bond with humans,... :p

This guy will be in an article one day whose title reads "'Pet' Crocodile Savagely Kills Man".. same as all those people who "befriended" bears and ended up mauled to death.. wild animals shouldn't be trusted.

This guy will be in an article one day whose title reads "'Pet' Crocodile Savagely Kills Man".. same as all those people who "befriended" bears and ended up mauled to death.. wild animals shouldn't be trusted.

Timothy Treadwell...

But anyway, amazing story (the footage is amazing, it's a must-watch) - and there must be some reason why the crocodile hasn't harmed him... there's only so long you can fluke it and it really doesn't seem like this guy's been able to merely 'fluke it' for so long (12 years?).

If the animal did in any way object to this treatment, he could so easily let Chito know... you can say he doesn't for whatever reason, you can try to deny it as much as you want - but the crocodile really doesn't mind Chito... do I dare say there might even be a bond and watch as various members break out into an uproar against the mere thought of such a thing? :lol:

[video=youtube;sdw5LMdmYSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdw5LMdmYSQ[/video]

LadyJ it isn't a fluke.. the crocodile is tolerating him, that much is obvious. My point is there will come a point when something happens.. perhaps the croc is hungry and the guys hand flicks past like a fish or something I don't know.. Crocodiles are extremely primitive creatures and have deep seated instincts. Perhaps nothing will happen and they'll be fine and grow old together, or perhaps like so often in the animal world nature will take over, and a split second is all it takes.

I wonder what his life insurance policy says about his hobby? :lol:

LadyJ it isn't a fluke.. the crocodile is tolerating him, that much is obvious. My point is there will come a point when something happens.. perhaps the croc is hungry and the guys hand flicks past like a fish or something I don't know.. Crocodiles are extremely primitive creatures and have deep seated instincts. Perhaps nothing will happen and they'll be fine and grow old together, or perhaps like so often in the animal world nature will take over, and a split second is all it takes.

Build it and they will come... just accept the fact there's a big, primitive animal and without 'humanizing' I can say he really doesn't mind that bloke. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's more of a "finding the middle ground" thing. You're right LadyJ, the croc is happy to interact with that bloke, but it's still a far cry from real animal-human bonding, and there's still a lot of potential for something dangerous to happen. It's a big dangerous species that doesn't usually "bond" - you'd trust your life with a horse much quicker than a croc. That said, how many crocs are happy to roll over for a tummy rub? Maybe he's just special...

There's a lot of people I know that I would "happily interact" with, but not bond with. I'd sell anyone of them for a good avocado at the moment, and I have to wonder whether that croc feels a bit the same.... :shock:

It would be interesting to see how well humans stack up against wild animals as far as trust goes, far more get killed by human 'friends' than crocs or bears. Also when dealing with these animals most accept that they may get killed due to a mistake or confusion, personally i think its crazy and amusing. I wouldnt try it with a ray though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back